Friday, September 20, 2013

Voices and South Lawn

I steeled myself for the monthly experience of the board of advisors meeting.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the recent changes were greeted.  It was the first time I’d seen the statistics the changes generated and it was gratifying to see the marked improvement.  I was shocked when the politicos actually singled me and my boss out for the lion’s share of credit.  I didn’t see that coming. 

It wouldn’t be a board meeting if the Voices so Inappropriate Worth didn’t show up.  During the public comments period the ring leader stood up and compared the new bus hub to a concentration camp and claimed we were treating the people of Worcester like genocidal victims, naming the Armenians amongst others.  That was pretty extreme, even for her.  I’m guessing she’s off her meds.
Behind the Scenes at the Cookout
Yesterday was also the annual Retiree Cookout at the recently discovered South Lawn of our facility.  I found it kind of jarring that I’ve been associated with this place for so long (8 years now) that I actually knew a bunch of the returning retirees.  This was a new experience. 
The Fabulous South Lawn
I screwed up in a huge fashion by not choosing yesterday as my one keto free day of the week.  I am saving that for Saturday and the high school reunion.  I was talking with a bunch of the retirees for a long period of time while standing down wind of a huge chocolate sheet cake and overflowing platter of chocolate chip cookies.  That was a true test of will.  I almost failed. 
Temptation Incarnate - Stand Upwind Next Time
I spoke with the wife last night down in Panama and for the first time I sensed some real fear and almost resignation about her Dad’s health struggles.  I’m hoping its just exhaustion speaking. 
How Do You Like Him Now My Son?
The Red Sox, those lovable bearded wonders, clinched a playoff berth last night with a crisp win over their nemesis the Baltimore Orioles.  I remember telling my scoffing son back in April that if we had a bounce back year from Lackey things could be interesting.  I’m feeling entirely prescient now as Lackey capped a great year with a complete game dominating win.  I can’t wait to remind a certain progeny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment