Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pre-Deployment Day

Yesterday was spent getting ready to deploy the wife south to Panama so she can assist her family during her father’s health crisis.  I was distracted all day at work while she scurried around the greater Worcester area canceling appointments and attending to the thousand other details of everyday life that will be affected by a month+ long absence.

The best thing about yesterday were the numerous calls she received from around the world expressing concern and support for her during this tough stretch.  She literally spent the entire evening on the phone while finishing her usual epic luggage packing exercise. 

I was a little miffed that she and I didn’t have more time but I could see how much good talking to friends was helping her.  Most of all it distracted her from dwelling on what faces her in Panama and our impending separation.  It’s times like this when friends demonstrate how much they care about you.  If last night is any indication, my wife has built up an immense well of good will.  Even the cantankerous one came up on the net with a beautiful and elegant message that had my wife in tears, of gratitude.  She literally could not get to all the friends who tried calling in last night but wanted everyone to realize how much it meant to her.
My View for Most of Dinner
A Nice View Though
We went out for a farewell dinner at a local restaurant.  She even managed to eat some food around fielding cell phone calls and receiving text updates on her father from her sister.  My daughter’s recent visit got my wife on the I-Phone application, What’s Up, which allows her to text back and forth to Panama.  It has been a Godsend over the last few days. 
Part of Keto Torture Last Night  - Not Being Able to Eat These Breadsticks
You'll Note There is not Much Steak Left
While my wife went through the packing and talking frenzy, Buddy and I decided to check out the Red Sox game.  It was another contest with the best team in the league and each of the past two have been tight, low scoring affairs.  This was not.  Eight home runs and 20, yes 20 runs, later the Sox pummeled the supposedly best team.  My wife would charge downstairs each time I yelled which became a bit too much exercise after the first ten runs.  I’m going to miss her.  Terribly.   
A Scene Repeated Eight Times Last Night - Signature Win
 

No comments:

Post a Comment