Thursday, September 26, 2013

Goodbye Dex and Movie Realignment

Yesterday I watched the series final of Dexter.  I’ve watched him from the get go and thought he started out as one of the most interesting characters ever created for television.  A sympathetic serial killer who only culled the herd of other serial killers and led a normal life otherwise was fascinating. 
As with so many intriguing characters the writers ran out of compelling story lines and tried to soften his edges which took away some of his mojo.  The final straw was having him fall in love (albeit with another serial killer) and becoming a doting father.  It is completely believable that Yvonne Strahovski, Chuck’s old flame, could turn anybody around but it made Dexter a little more cuddly than I think his fans wanted.  The series ended with a whimper instead of a bang, which was kind of disappointing.

I used my abundant free time at home last night to finally tackle the project of culling my own herd of movies.  I buy a movie or two every week and my shelves were groaning under the weight of well over a thousand movies.  It got to the point that I could no longer wedge new movies in. 
The Updated Shelves With Removed Movies Stacked in Front
I spent a very entertaining 2 hours going through and removing the DVD versions of movies that I had blu ray copies of and that gave me the needed breathing room.  I also flipped the shelves that had bowed so it looks better now and my engineer son won’t criticize me every time he sees it.  
Lunch Yesterday With This Guy!
I did get to have lunch with him yesterday after a three week hiatus.  He was recovering from a cold which hit him last week just in time for his turn as best man at his college roommate’s wedding.  These simple lunches are something I look forward to more and more as he seems to be drifting away towards his own future life with the awesome MEF.  Life has a way of imposing itself on you.   

There was a major power outage in Panama so my wife’s nightly call was delayed.  When I couldn’t get her on the phone I feared something terrible had happened with her dad but thankfully when I did get her on the phone she related all good news on that front.  She’s back a week from today – can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment