Saturday, July 20, 2013

Scheduling and Mobile Children

Yesterday was intense at work as I started inputting all the changes into our scheduling system.  I’m training a young guy from our planning agency and he’s reached the point that he’s probably better than I am.  Damned kids and their computer proficiency!  We started before I’d had the chance to finish what we call a “run cut”.

A run cut is taking all the bus service we want and cutting that into jobs for the drivers.  There’s a Rubik’s Cube of union rules I have to adhere to as well as trying to make the jobs as financial viable as possible – so it’s a lot of fun. It wasn’t needed for yesterday’s session but I was frustrated I hadn’t finished it.
It didn’t help that both my operations manager and then my boss decided to take the day off.  We also had a major PR campaign gong on downtown handing out free water to our riders on a day the temps were approaching 100.  I took our newly hired training manager and told her that she’s been around long enough to take up the operations side so I could focus on the scheduling morass.  She excelled – a good hire there.

I finished the computer session and dove back into the run cut.  I was pretty gassed and was on the verge of giving up when I made one final change and all of a sudden everything clicked.  The various pieces of work all fell into place.  It’s funny how much regenerative energy finally solving a problem provides.  It was a great way to end the day and provided additional energy that always comes with a Friday afternoon.

I took that energy home and immediately treated myself to a beer since my wife was talking with her sister in Panama and I knew our departure for Zorba’s would be delayed.  A couple beers later we finally headed out the door to another magical Friday night at Zorba’s.  It’s kind of neat how much fun these dates have evolved into.  We both confessed we really looked forward to the time together.  The foxy waitress was back but in an aloof mood.  My admiration was severely impacted.
My Gorgeous Date Last Night
One of the typical subjects of dinner conversation was our far flung children.  As opposed to the week before, our son was on his way back from Virginia where he’d been all week while our daughter was flying to Detroit to link up with her touring husband.  She’s chronicling the adventure of spending a couple days on tour with him in a series of photo posts.  We miss her but this makes her seem a little closer.  Yesterday she had to dodge a couple thunderstorms, apparently less than successfully  - and she was worried about finding a place to shower!

I miss last weekend. 

Daughter and Son in Law reunited (correction - some random dude)
And She Was Worried About Finding a Showering Spot

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha Dad that's not Jesse! That's a friend on the tour named Kevin!

    ReplyDelete