Thursday, July 25, 2013

Resting With Future Marines

The crazy pace at work continued yesterday but at least it was Wednesday and that meant a mid-day lunch with my favorite son where he tortures me with popcorn and French fires.  I took the obligatory picture and my wife later remarked upon viewing it that he was wearing the same shirt a couple weeks ago.  I’m sure he’d be as mystified as I was why that was a big deal, but apparently it is the height of fashion faux pauxs, who knew.
Non-Keto and Fashionably Challenged Son Yesterday
When I got home the news media was all flutter because Coach Belicheck finally went in front of the sports media to talk about the Hernandez disaster.  I thought he did a credible job without playing to the media’s need to sensationalize.  While I was watching the news broadcast I spied my brother in law in the crowd and snapped a picture of the TV screen – feel to cool to know someone so important.
Bro in Law Seated (left center) in Red Shirt Turned Around Talking With Guy Behind Him
Since the rain held off the wife and I went on our date and saw the movie RIPD.  It was okay but I held out much bigger expectations given the concept of deceased cops policing the supernatural back on earth.  I thought going in that the casting was superb with Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges as the leads.
Could Have Been........
This should be right up Reynolds’ alley where he could be at his smart ass, wisecracking best but for some reason he was called upon to play it straight and serious.  I don’t know if it was the writing, direction, or this movie was shot during his breakup with Scarlett, but he was pretty one dimensional which surprised me. 

This movie just misses because they don’t mine the deep well of comedic possibilities the concept presents.  It’s tough to like a movie where the lead isn’t that likable.  On the up side Bridges obviously had a lot of fun with his over the top cowboy ghost and Mary Louise Parker was delightful in a supporting role.
On the reading front, a few days ago I finished reading the book, Marines, by Jay Allen, the first in his Crimson Worlds series.  Apparently my wandering through Amazon resulted in this as a recommended read in military science fiction.  It was a great find because it reminded me a lot of the Starship Troopers (book, not the movie) which is one of my favorite all time sci fi books.

It follows the early career of a young gang member who’s brought in the future space marines.  Allen must have spent some time in uniform because he gets the underlying motivations and traditions of the military spot on.  I really enjoyed the read and as soon as I finished I immediately ordered the second book.  Thirty seconds later I started reading that – Kindles rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment