Sunday, July 14, 2013

Epic!!!!

It’s rare that a much anticipated event can live up to, much less exceed, expectations but that certainly happened yesterday with the engagement party for my son and the MEF.  It’s testimony to the love everyone has for these two very special people that everybody came to the party prepared to celebrate.  The party will be remembered for sheer epicness (is that even a word? – if not then it is appropriate this party will invent a new word to encapsulate awesomeness in spades).

My Son and the MEF With a Couple of Friends at the Party
There was the usual frenzied approach as my wife and I went through all the preparations necessary.  It was so good to have both the kids, the MEF, and the Virginia Friend around to help – we wouldn’t have made it without them.  As soon as people started showing up the fun began. We had a great mix of our friends, the couple’s friends, our family, and the MEF’s family.  It was interesting to see how seamless the varied groups meshed into a fantastic mix – just so much fun.
The Party at It's Height
There never seems to be enough time at one of these parties to spend the time you want to with everybody.  I was flitting around trying to accomplish that but only getting a fraction of the time I wanted with each. 
Virginia Friend Helping my Wife with Flower Prep
Front Yard Sprouting Cars
There was one fairly major faux paux as my wife sent me out to fire up the grill only to discover that she had left it on a couple of night’s ago which meant we had a gas grill with no gas!  We also had twenty pounds of meat awaiting immolation!  My nephew nobly volunteered to drive me (since I was already several beers downrange at this point) to replenish the gas supply.  As fate would have it I got the same attendant that I had a couple weeks ago and he remembered me.  When he asked why I was back so fast I told him that we grilled an immense amount.  He gave me a weird look as I rushed back with the needed gas. 
Not What I wanted to be Doing in the Middle of the Party
I shortly had the grill uploaded with a massive amount of beef but after twenty minutes I noted that I was making no progress whatsoever.  Apparently my wife’s extended open dial had screwed something up because we were getting a very weak flame.  Not to worry, we have the best neighbors.  Shortly a couple of the stalwart young men were ferrying the neighbor’s grill over to our deck and the meat met its fate.  The butcher was absolutely correct – the meat was delicious.
My Wife Carving the Beef
Great Chow!!!
The Outdoors Crew
The Competition Was Fierce
Most of the younguns were out in the yard playing games, many involving beer while the middle aged crew held forth in the air conditioned spaces (you go with your strengths).  The meal was a huge success and we followed with the ceremonial cake cutting.  My son better mind his manners because the MEF demonstrated some real aptitude with the saber.

The Cake Cutting
Careful My Son - She's Armed
As most of the guests departed the core of my son’s friends took up their customary basement table games (more beer).  Buddy took minor exception for his room to be invaded by some very loud partiers.  He passed time by stealing low hanging food and lapping up beer spills.  I contented myself by decompressing upstairs watching the Sox which meant I was shortly sound asleep.  My wife got pulled into several of the basement games by our very “happy” son.  The group also did their customary costume fitting by finding coats, shirts, and varied hats we have stored down there were eventually modeled.  This has, for some unexplained reason, also become one of our party traditions.  The games went on into the wee hours of the morning and to judge by the bodies I found sprawled around the house this morning – a huge success.

Buddy Coming Up to Complain About his Room's Invasion
The Basement Games
This party -   SO……..MUCH…….FUN!!!!!

These Two!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment