Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Mortality Costs

I was still recovering from the Baltimoreexperience yesterday and work was less than sympathetic. At least it made the day amble by at a very respectable pace. I had to tackle the neglected lawn after work. The back lawn especially was staging a mini-coup in my absence. It took the better part of two hours, well into the twilight to subdue the rebels.

I was just about finished when my wife came outside with the phone, never a good sign. It was one of the elder cousins from my father’s side calling to report the death of the ex-husband of one of our cousins. Since he was a former in law of the cousin and a bit older I never knew him well, but that kind of news is always jarring. I do know his kids who are more of an age with me and they are excellent people which speaks to their father’s influence. My cousin and I talked for a bit realizing our generation is now entering an age group where we’ll have to expect this relentless advent of mortality. I find it hard to believe that the shining group of elder cousins I so idolized as a kid are starting to leave us – tough to abide by that. My thoughts are with a grieving family today as they deal with unexpected loss.
R.I.P. Jeff
While in transit to Baltimore I finished up the second book in the Crimson World Series by Jay Allan, Cost of Victory. This was a direct sequel to the original book that I enjoyed so much last week. It takes the main character of the first book and walks him through the events of a massive interstellar war.
I didn’t like this as much as the original because the author wanders into the area of high level politics which pales in comparison to the military action Allan does such a good job of describing. That being said, he’s created some very intriguing characters and he gets the military code of honor – spot on.

I finished the book as we were boarding the plane to Baltimore. I discovered a new reason to love the Kindle. While on board I connected to the internet with the Kindle and purchased the next book in the series. Five minutes after finishing the second book I was already reading the third. I still miss going to the book store though.

No comments:

Post a Comment