Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Midnight Sanity

I can’t believe it’s July already but since the air conditioning is working – I’m psyched.  My wife dove into her basement cleanup effort yesterday with her usual fanatical exuberance.  We were horrified by the sheer volume of legos my son acquired throughout his youth.  We had to buy a massive plastic bin to collect them all in one place. They are safely stowed in the basement awaiting use by our eventual grandchildren.  They are stored with the remnants of my once proud army of plastic soldiers.  It’s kind of cool to think a third generation will someday play with these relics of my childhood.

Yesterday was also a big day at work as we unveiled midnight service for the first time in a long time.  Since I was in charge of scheduling the runs and I was less than thrilled with the confidence level of the late night supervisors I decided to come in and check up on the first night’s operations. 

This came after a frustrating experience trying to get a set of blu rays my son bought for me to work.  I reached out to both of my next generation technical advice networks – my kids.  They offered some cogent suggestions which did not work so I’ll have to return the movies – I hate losing.

I left the house around 10pm to journey back to Worcester.  For a fairly large city Worcester goes to sleep pretty early.  After the daily bustle it was kind of startling to see things so quiet.  The supervisors were doing a good job and I spent some time talking with the drivers as they came into the hub.  The schedules were working fine.  I did get to spend some quality time with a crazed security guard who had company for the first time. 
The Hub Was Not a Fountain of Activity Last Night
Her nightly routine was now filled with people and buses and it was fun to watch her maniacal pursuit of people trying to park in handicapped zones and her theories on the history of mankind.  Her solitary nights left her a lot of time to read and formulate bizarre theories.  The night supervisor looked a little nervous at the prospect of his future nights at the lonely hub with this character.  There weren’t a lot of people riding the buses because this is Worcester but hopefully word will spread and we can help Worcester stay up past its elementary school bed time.  I got home well after midnight to a very confused Buddy but I felt good that things had gone so well back in sleepy Worcester.
The Last Run of the Night - The Buses Outnumbered the Passengers But It Will Get Better
 

No comments:

Post a Comment