Thursday, June 13, 2013

Southern Rhythms

Yesterday was another day deep in the South monitoring the glacial pace of the electric bus manufacturing process.  My mechanic partner and I had little progress to note but we did ascertain additional stunning views at lunch time.
Slow Progress
We also took note of the different pace of life down here.  It brought back memories of my time in the military where I spent a considerable number of years living in the South.  The people are so much more polite and less hurried here.  You can see it on the road where merges happen without the attendant drama you see in the Northeast.  The Connecticut highway system might actually work down here with the patient drivers.  You see the ever present “Southern Nice” in the people who go out of their way to make you feel welcome.  It’s nice to experience this and a little embarrassing when compared to home but I’ll still take the edgy, New England personality everyday.
Lunch
The views at lunch were provided at a restaurant called Twin Peaks.  I thought it was just a burger joint until I walked in and saw where the name came from.  It is a chain of restaurant that takes the Hooters method to a new level.  Well endowed waitresses in short shorts and plunging necklines flitted around the huge room which had dozens of flat screens and a wilderness motif.  I think the mechanic who recommended the place knew what it was ahead of time but he maintained his innocence.  The food turned out to be bad but the mountain views were spectacular.

Dinner was a return to the Longhorn Steakhouse where we ate in the shadow of a truly spectacularly large longhorn mounted over the bar.  I felt a little guilty downing his relative – well, not really. 
Our Dinner Overseer
I then settled into the hotel room to watch the Bruins initial game of the Stanley Cup Finals.  For a long time it looked like the magical ride the Bruins have been on would continue with a two goal lead in the final period.  Unfortunately a fluke goal tied the game which then resulted in no less than three overtimes.  Like an idiot I stayed up well into the early morning hours watching as the Bruins eventually lost.  I was then so pissed I couldn’t fall asleep until well after 3am. 

Shit
Well at least I don’t have to drive today – just have to hope there are no more presentations from the engineers.  Home tonight, hopefully, although I do have to submit to the tender mercies of US Air again – nothing is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment