Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ranting Old Flames

I did something weird yesterday.  I had about 45 minutes left at the end of the day with nothing on my plate for the first time in a couple days.  I decided to see if I could find out anything about some old girlfriends.  I didn’t think it would be possible since the latest information I had on them was more than thirty years old. 

It was way too easy, almost scarily easy.  In that forty five minutes I tracked down seven of my old flames and found current pictures of five of them.  I seem to have had excellent taste in my youth because all of them still looked pretty good.  It’s a comment on how much of our lives are available online nowadays.   This caused me some concern because I immediately thought these gals, some of whom I split with on less than peaceful terms, could track me down.  It was funny that I could find out about them but I could not find a lot of info about myself.  I guess that explains the lack of assassination attempts.

My wife and I ended the evening at our favorite Friday haunt, Zorba’s where the fabulously gorgeous waitress was back for admiration from afar.  She even stopped by to say hi, but when I looked across the table at my date, I realized how lucky I was with the still young lady I’m married to.  My taste in females of thirty years ago once again validated.
My Daily Breakfast
I’m coming up on a month on the keto diet and have lost over twenty pounds.  I only find it difficult when we go to the movies and the smell of popcorn overwhelms me or when I have to walk by the weekly supply of chocolate chip cookies I used to regularly plunder in the payroll office.  I’m into a fairly good rhythm now and find that I like the early mornings alone making breakfast again.  It’s almost like a flashback to my youth where I remember waking up to the smell of bacon and eggs and watching my parents eat while reading the morning newspaper.  I’m now the reader but connections to the past can be anchoring, in a good way.  The best thing about the diet is the reduced stress on my knee.  What had been a daily painful episode or two has disappeared completely, taking that twenty pound rucksack off seems to have helped.

I’ve spent my last few days wandering through the bizarre world of Chuck Palahniuk with Rant: An Oral History of Buster Casey.  This had all of Palahniuk wildly inappropriate characters and anti-social messages.  It reminded me a lot of Fight Club with a one man biological weapon bomb as the “hero.”  Casey is a young man who’s taken it upon himself to change the future society he finds abhorrent by infecting everybody with rabies.  Palahniuk chose a format of telling the story through hundreds of short, almost diary like, telling of the story as seen from the eyes of other characters.  It was kind of tough to follow at times.  It’s rescued by the author’s innate ability to be incredibly funny and to challenge the reader’s comfort zone.  Palahniuk seems to be wandering a little bit here as the book seemed at shocking without the normal well thought out twists and turns.  It seemed almost like a prequel.  Now on to something safer.
Downhill Construction Progress

No comments:

Post a Comment