Monday, June 24, 2013

Cataclysmic Granite State Return

Buddy knew something was afoot yesterday morning.  He immediately began his campaign to be included in whatever adventure my wife and I had planned.  His campaigns consist of being literally underfoot for every step I try to take.  He totally lost it when I started moving his cage towards the car and spent the rest of the prep phase tied to a pole.
Buddy Imploring the Humans to Hurry Up and Get Moving
We headed back to New Hampshire for the day since my Keene Friend finally had a day off.  As stated earlier, he had the absolute temerity to land a job which directly impacted on our ability to have fun with him.  Since he is one of Buddy’s favorite humans we could not leave our impatient canine behind.  I’ve really missed getting back to Keene as often as I did before my friend’s inconvenient employment.  My wife was equally jazzed to get another shot at tax free shopping. 
Buddy Immediately Took my Friend Out for a Walk
After arriving and the obligatory Buddy love fest, we headed out for lunch where I completely rocked my friend’s perceptions by ordering a salad instead of french fries.  The term flabbergasted leaps to mind.
The House I Grew Up In
My wife soon abandoned us for the gentle embrace of T.J. Maxx while my friend and I took a drive around Keene, waiting for a movie time.  We drove down the street where I grew up and noted my mother’s old house has been admirably fixed up and looks great.  We then happened on the Cantankerous One down the street who was performing filial chores for his infirm parents.  The sun must have been getting to him because he didn’t even recognize me when we pulled up.   He was suitably cantankerous so we checked that block.  It was good to see him despite his lack of recognition.
Excessive Demon Phallacy
We went to see the movie, This is the End, one of the comedies I tried to convince my wife to see earlier in the week.  My friend and I both agreed that I dodged a bullet because she would have hated it.  Not one but two demon penises is well beyond her limit as well as an f-word count well into the hundreds and peeing into one’s own mouth. The movie starts out incredibly funny as we see actors portraying themselves in all their pretentious glory and poking merciless fun at themselves.  The apocalypse arrives and they don’t handle it well.  The movie founders badly in the middle but rallies at the end.  Literally dozens of cameos, some of which are incredibly funny, especially Michael Cera and Magic Mike himself.

Since my wife was not yet ready to emerge from her shopping frenzy my friend and I repaired to the local miniature golf facility to pass some time.  He’s a much better golfer and we were both confounded when I was ahead after the first nine holes.  I told him not to worry and my comments were shortly thereafter validated in a two hole melt down.
Keene Friend Mounting His Comeback
We then decided since it was too hot to play another round we would head for Margarita’s to wait out my wife’s immersion therapy.   While admiring the surroundings I once again shattered my friend’s illusions about me by declaring he would be drinking beer while I would not.  Since Sunday is a school night I decided to behave.  Our waitress, she of a very deep, husky voice, had served us before and was equally shocked.    

The Seacoast Champs - My Son Middle of Front Row
While seated there we heard from my son whose coed flag football team won two playoff games and emerged as the Seacoast Champions.  They did this despite the absence of the MEF.  I got the impression my son was celebrating and can now reclaim some of his lost athletic mojo in that relationship.
I Don't Know Where He Gets This From
Celebrating the Win
My Wife Arriving at Margarita's and Successfully Blocking the Photo
My friend noticed that our time at the bar had climbed past the closing hours of stores and less than thirty seconds later we saw my exhausted wife wandering up the sidewalk.  We passed a great time learning of her adventures over dinner.  Our fantastic waitress tried to do me an unasked favor after I ordered my typical dead animal flesh but told her to hold the fries.  My steak arrived with a huge helping of squash.  She complimented me on eating healthy and said she was trying to help.  As soon as the waitress departed my wife descended into a paroxysm of laughter, knowing I would never touch the squash but had politely thanked the well meaning waitress.  My wife was out of breath from laughing so hard at the prospect of me and squash, I was less than convinced it was so humorous.
They Actually Thought I would Eat This!?
The Source of my Wife's Hilarity
We headed home last night completely happy to have spent time with a good friend in my beloved home town.  I also confirmed something I already knew – I don’t need french fries and beer to enjoy the time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment