Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Contact and After

This week has been about as much fun at work as a human can stand.  Nobody likes change and despite numerous warnings that some people would be upset by the new hub and the attendant changes panic seems to be setting in above me.  It’s kind of fun to see the “politicos” (who made all the decisions) running to hide so the operations staff takes the brunt of the complaints.  My operations chief is out of the office this week so I get to handle all of that as well as some union shenanigans.  To top it all off they’re doing a bunch of welding right outside my office all week so I’ve got those fumes to add to the atmosphere.

I go home each night and attack the mulch pile to ease some of the frustration.  I now have about sixty percent of my wife’s vast gardens covered.  Buddy provides overwatch as long as my wife is not in the kitchen – a true belly friend.
Mulch Reduction Effort
We saw our second movie of the week – After Earth.  It’s sad to see how far M. Night Shaliman has sunk that when his big movie comes out, he’s not in the advertising or even in the opening credits.  This was billed as a Will Smith and his son Jaden teaming up in an epic sci fi movie.  They had me at sci fi – even if M. Night was involved.

The movie is really – okay.  At some point someone is going to have to tell Jaden that he plain just cannot act and has no screen presence whatsoever.  He’s a prime example that charisma and presence are not genetic traits because both of his parents have it, excessively. 
Danger Is Letting Young Smith Loose
The plot is interesting and the elder Smith still has it but there were so many things that created pause, besides Jaden’s terrible acting.  Why would humans, capable of interstellar travel still have to fight monsters with swords.  The space ship’s interior looked like it was made out of macramé – no wonder it crashes.  The biggest problem though is young Smith – we’re supposed to care about the struggles of his character and you don’t.

We finally made contact with our fast moving daughter and son in law last night.  My wife immediately began wailing about her IPad struggles and my inability to solve them.  The bemused pair talked us through simply turning it off and back on which fixed the problem but came as a huge blow to certain egos about their lack of simple intelligence.  My son in law asked how I liked the keto acceptable candy bars he sent last week.  When I reported their quick demise at my chocolate covered hands he said that was why I only lost three pounds last week – small price to pay.  It was so good finally being able to talk with them.
Sweet!
Finally, the Red Sox put an absolute hurting on the Texas Rangers - a team that has tormented them of late, winning 17-5.  The Rangers even had their left fielder in to pitch the last inning and he was the only pitcher to hold the Sox scoreless all night.  So after all - it turned out to be a pretty good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment