Friday, June 7, 2013

Midday Mulching, Silken Farewells and Walkoff

Yesterday was the last day of good weather prior to some extended rain so I needed to finish off the still lurking mulch pile before it became soaked with rain again.  I discovered that mulch, built to retain water does just that when sitting in a huge pile, making the lifting and moving of it even more taxing on a fifty+ year back.  The welders were right outside my office door yesterday so I told the boss I was taking off a couple hours early to escape the fumes before I had to return for a going away dinner in Worcester.

I thought it would be a nice surprise for my wife to show up a couple hours early and she might even offer to help with the mulching project.  Alas she had escaped into her natural environment - shopping and the mulching fell to Buddy and I.  Buddy's help was short lived when he decided that chasing school buses was more fun - cage time. I finally drove a dagger into the mulch pile, which is no more.  I went inside, showered, and was headed out the door for the dinner when the wife showed up.  She expressed believable remorse when I told her I came home hoping for some help and then launched into a recitation of her shopping adventures.
And Then There Ws None!
I regrettably had to pass on the second half of that thrilling narrative to get back into Worcester.  One of my primary subordinate managers, the trainer, is retiring and the dinner was in his honor.  We were going back to the same restaurant where we had the highly successful Christmas party - Joey's.  I walked in literally 4 minutes after the scheduled time and was treated like a long lost refugee.  I think they also left work early and spent the time consuming adult beverages.  I had a great seat where I could see people as they walked into the restaurant.  I don't know what's going on there but a series of incredibly fit young, professional ladies seem to hang out there - oh to be twenty two again.
Dinner Last Night - Guest of Honor on Right
It's amazing how easy and available information is nowadays.  I went online yesterday and just entered a description of the huge butterfly I found in the backyard yesterday.  Literally ten seconds later I found out all about it  - it was a silk moth.  "Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus)  This massive insect, a member of “Giant Silk Moth” family, regularly reaches wingspans of 6 inches." 
The Moth
Speaking of silk, I also finished the latest Lucas Davenport thriller by John Sandford yesterday - Silken Prey.  As usual I blew through this book, typical of any Davenport book for me.  Lucas was on the trail of a corrupt US senatorial candidate who was using two hired killers to win the election.  Sandford brought in all his normal cast to assist Lucas with a big part played by the computer hacker/artist, Kidd, and his jewel thief wife, Lauren.  They've had a couple books written about their own adventures and it was like seeing old friends again. Oh yeah, that F---ing Flowers also made a cameo which is never a bad thing.  As usual, I loved the book but I end up reading them so fast it's almost frustrating. 
Great book
Semi-exhausted back at home last night, the wife and I watched, somewhat semi-counsiously as the Red Sox took on the Rangers again.  It was tied going onto the last of the 9th inning and the Rangers actually walked Pedroia to pitch to Ortiz.  I was thinking this must be a huge insult to big Papi due to his legendary 9th inning prowess.  I guess I was right because Ortiz hit an absolute rocket of a home run on the first pitch he saw - there's something about this Sox team!
Big Papi Greeted at Home
 

No comments:

Post a Comment