Saturday, June 15, 2013

Let the Fun Begin

A full day free of the effects of my imprisonment by US Airways felt so good.  I was a little bit exhausted going into work but rallied by noontime.  I had a bit of an adventure trying to coordinate Buddy’s extraction with my brother in law.  He was deeply immersed in his work while I was trying to confirm his presence before dispatching the wifely extraction team.  It all worked out as my wife made the necessary contact and pulled out our resident ball of canine energy.

Buddy informed me that his return to Massachusetts involved a couple diversions to go shopping.  Welcome to my world Buddy.  I got out of work early due to my late Thursday night (thanks again US Airways).  Buddy was happy but exhausted when I reunited with him.  He always gets tired hanging out with his favorite cousin Bailey.  Rhode Island is much more active that our quiet country road and Buddy must address all threats to the perimeter.  He took a long nap and was back to being the Wonder Pooch by the evening.
A Tired Buddy Back in My Lap Yesterday
The big event of the day was another journey into the heart of traffic darkness that is Connecticut for the only reason I would undertake such a perilous task – daughter mining.  She is coming up for the Father’s Day weekend – best present ever (well ½ of that - the other ½ was flying back from Virginia and we’ll see him Sunday).  We made fantastic time getting down to New Haven only to be confronted by a massive traffic snarl of cars just short of the train station.  A creative (if I do say so myself) U-turn and parking job left us just a short walk to the station and daughter reunion.

The trip back to Massachusetts involved catching up on each other’s lives and the sadly missed, touring son in law.  My wife checked out for an overdue nap when my daughter and I started talking movies because we share almost our own language on that subject.  The obligatory stop at a strangely empty Zorba’s for dinner was a lot of fun.  The object of my secret fascination was not present but we had a very nice, if excessively perky, waitress taking care of us.  So good to hang out with such a pair of knockouts sitting across the table from me – a very lucky man, indeed.
The Knockouts at Dinnner
While languishing in my incarceration by US Airways I finished reading the latest Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt adventure – Poseidon’s Arrow.   I’ve been a huge fan of Pitt since first reading Raise the Titanic back in the 1970s.  Pitt’s also been very good to Cussler who co-wrote this book with his son – Dirk Cussler.  It’s interesting to see Dirk (the Pitt one) make his way through middle age but still encounter his typical adventures – helped out by his twin children who were Deus Ex Machina-ed on him a couple books ago.  I found this book a little frustrating because the authors let the bad guys get away with so much evil so easily just to get Pitt and his brood into danger that it became almost distracting.  Still, Dirk rallies in the last pages to vanquish evil in a familiar (to me) Panama setting.  Pure light fare but that’s what summer reading is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment