Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mulching, Butterflies and Late Night Ursanity

Yesterday tried to pass itself off as Wednesday but for some reason I kept thinking it was Thursday, or weekend eve; anticipatory thinking at its most virulent.  The good thing about Wednesdays is the weekly lunch date with the son.  It seems like events at work try to conspire to make getting to these lunches a challenge.  I’ll sit in my office just doing routine things until just before its time to leave and then the phone starts ringing and knocks start in on the door.  I swear these efforts are coordinated.
Lunch Son
Apparently Buddy knows when it’s Wednesday now.  I always buy him two bones at the weekly grocery shopping.  He gets one on Sunday and the other on Wednesday.  Last night he was going nuts and my wife and I couldn’t figure out why he was so agitated.  He kept going to and sitting in front of the refrigerator.  He’s figured out I store the Wednesday bone on top of it.  Finally it dawned on us dumb humans what he was trying to say.  You could almost hear him muttering, “dumbasses” as he pranced away with his bone.
Buddy Finally Getting A Human to Understand
Last night saw an epic reduction in the mulch pile as I also decided to expand the mulch circles around the birch trees to push back the encroaching lawn.  I’ve grown tired of almost decapitating myself while mowing the lawn and having to maneuver around the tree branches.
Slow Death of Mulch Pile
I started in on the first tree and found an incredibly large and exotic looking butterfly.  It had two huge eye like features on its wings and large eyebrow like antennae.  It obviously had just been born and was trying to figure out how to fly.  I summoned my wife and the neighbor kids to see the thing.  Nature’s like that, always giving you something new and surprising, if you just take the time to look.
The Butterfly
One of the Finished Tree - Note that Butterfly (in mulch next to tree) Survived My Efforts
Lifting the sod from around the trees was about as much fun as I anticipated.  My wife wandered out to offer assistance and I assigned her the task of spraying the trees against some invading ants.  I watched as she attacked with vigor.  I think ants as far south as Kentucky may have felt the impact of her efforts, I just hope the tree survives her attentions.  People need not worry about the compete level in female military – they’re capable of terminating with extreme prejudice.  Just ask my back yard ants.
The mosquitoes finally chased us inside where I took up watching the Bruins-Penguins playoff game.  The Penguins at least showed up for this and it turned into an epic struggle.  The Bruins were outplayed for a lot of the game but would not yield a go ahead goal.  One player, Gregory Campbell, broke his leg blocking a shot and still played for another minute before returning to the bench.  Hockey players are the toughest hombres in professional sports.  The game went to two overtimes where the Bruins started to impose their will again.  Bergeron, who is forging a reputation of true legerdemain, ended the game late in the second overtime.  It was after midnight when the goal was scored and I was so excited about the win that I couldn’t sleep for another hour after that.  This morning came awful early but it was worth it just to see the dejection on that punk Crosby’s face.
Took a While But More than Worth the Wait

No comments:

Post a Comment