Thursday, May 23, 2013

Walling Along – Keto Casualty

Summer continued its unexpected early intrusion into what had been a very cold spring yesterday.  The balmy weather brought home the contradiction that is New England weather.  Last week at the same time my wife wanted to turn the heat back on and yesterday I’m sure she was considering the air conditioning switch.

I did get to have my weekly lunch reinstated with my favorite son yesterday.  This has become a huge highlight of my week.  This is the first time I’ve gone to one of these lunches on the keto diet and I didn’t even think about it until the waiter plopped down the introductory bowl of popcorn in front of us.  It’s usually a contest between my son and I to polish off as many bowls of popcorn as possible before the meal shows up.  I started to reach for the bowl until I realized this was now verboten to me.  My son, to his credit, did not rub it in too badly.  On the upside, diet wise, two cheeseburgers for breakfast yesterday – awesome!
My Son Yesterday Lording Over "His" Bowl of Popcorn
Speaking of things keto related, my wife has decided to abandon the diet.  I was going to recommend this to her after reading someone on blood pressure medication shouldn’t attempt this diet.  I knew she would struggle with having to abandon fruits and it’s not as if she needs to lose any weight to begin with.  This was always going to be easier for me (I did mention cheeseburgers for breakfast didn’t I?).  She’s gone back to eating regular food and complaining about the amount of dead animal flesh I now get to eat.  I’m going to continue on although the passage of a Friday with no Zorba’s pizza is going to be tough (oh well, the cute waitress abandoned me anyways).

Since the thunder storms held off yesterday, to Buddy’s intense gratitude, my wife and I made another run to Home Depot and overloaded the Highlander with a couple more rows of stone.  When we got back, I also helped out the next door neighbor amid a true storm of mosquitoes and black flies by inflating her riding lawn mower’s back tire.  As the air was leaving through some cracks almost as fast as it was going in I ran to the basement for that universal cure for all things broken – duct tape!  I then finished off positioning the latest load of stone and I finally reached terminal height on the uphill side and figure only two more trips will be required to finish off the wall (as long as the Highlander holds out).  Plants in the garden by Sunday is the goal!
Wall Progress - Light at End of Tunnel in View

No comments:

Post a Comment