Friday, May 24, 2013

Parade Rained On

I’m not looking forward to Friday night as much as usual because there will be no Zorba’s pizza courtesy of my keto diet.  Strange how that’s the first real downer about being on this diet, well other than popcorn.

I had a very funny moment yesterday that was diet related.  My wife has been carping almost non-stop about the meat I’ve been eating on the diet.  She purchased some form of green beans – something I’ve avoided since last being forced to eat them some forty plus years ago by my mother.  She laced the foul smelling concoction with pieces of bacon to supposedly make it palatable to me. 
I Cringe in Anticipation
She gave specific instructions that I was to include it with my lunch yesterday – pointing out where she put the plastic container in the fridge.  As I went through my semi-conscious early morning routine yesterday I dutifully loaded the plastic container along with two cheeseburgers (!) I prepped. When I was getting lunch ready in my office I cringed as I opened the vegetable dish worried about what lay ahead.  To my intense surprise (delight) I found I had taken a plastic container of steak strips instead of the vegetables.  It was an honest mistake although I’m sure my subconscious was somehow involved.  The steak strips provided superb accompaniment to the cheeseburgers.

The steak strips were from my wife’s half eaten lunch of the prior day.  We both laughed when I called to tell her what happened and gallantly offered that she could eat the vegetables I left behind for me.  She was having none of that and the vegetables are in my lunch bag for today – so we’ll see.

The weather has been singularly uncooperative with my wall building plans with almost constant rain this week.  I got home last night and could see a fairly impressive thunderstorm in the distance.  I’m constantly amazed at the progress of weather forecasting and tracking technology.  The TV weatherman was tracking the storm and of course was zeroed in over our town (winter storm memories!).  It was so precise that I decided to take an educated gamble that the storm would stay the five miles north of us while I added another load of stones to the wall.  It looked like we were going to be right below the edge of the storm for a couple hours.  My wife even came outside (along with a very nervous Buddy) to help me place the stones when I got back.  We finished just before the nightly deluge – another two inches of rain overnight.
The Wall Progress - Final Row Started
My wife will try to soften the blow of a Zorbaless Friday night by preparing a carb-free homemade pizza from a recipe provided by the redoubtable son in law.  She spent part of the day yesterday hunting down the exotic elements that compose this wondrous creation; finding all except unflavored whey powder (yumm!).  I was tasked to look for some on the way to Home Depot but struck out.

Later as I was juggling the watching of a Bruins playoff game, Tito Francona’s return to Fenway to oppose the Red Sox, and the “newest” Schwarzenegger flick she revealed that the ingredients for this single pizza approached $50!  This better be fantastic pizza!

Sadly Arnie’s movie was the only highlight of the night as it looks like the Bruins goalie took some money to throw the game while Tito’s new bunch obliterated the Sox.  Oh well, at least today I get to relive a scene from my childhood with those damned green beans.
Downhill Construction Progress - It's Going to Be Bigger Than I Thought
 

No comments:

Post a Comment