Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Unbroken Trek into Darkness

Yesterday was one of the most boring days at work since I’ve returned – just nothing exciting except air conditioning systems breaking down on buses. 

Over lunch I did finish reading the book loaned to me by the father of my son Most Excellent Girlfriend – Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand which more than made up for the lack of excitement.  I’m usually not a big fan of biographies but this book was riveting.  It tells the story of Louis Zamperini who has lead a remarkable life starting out as a delinquent and rising to become one of the best American track stars prior to World War 2.  He was an Olympian at the 1936 games, meeting Hitler, and then served in the Pacific during the War.  His plane crashed and he floated literally across the Pacific Ocean for 47 days.  His days spent surviving repeated shark attacks with no food or water is the stuff of legend.  He was captured by the Japanese and systemically tortured over the next two years while in the sadistic Japanese prisoner of war camp system.  He almost fell apart following the war but was saved by the love of a good woman and a young Billy Graham.  Zamperini went on to lead a life of unparalleled excellence. 
Read This Book - You Won't Be Disappointed
This is the first Hillenbrand book I’ve read and I now see what all the buzz is about.  She is a truly gifted writer and brings Zamperini’s incredible adventures to vivid life with heartbreaking detail.  I dashed through this book because it was so well written and the story so compelling.  If you have any doubts about the greatest generation – read this sterling example of what made them the greatest. I can see why the MEG’s father wanted me to read this – it’s the kind of book you want friends to experience. 
Looking Out Back During Height of Storm
My own plans for the next level on the garden wall were compromised by a truly hellacious series of thunderstorms the cruised through the area just as I got home.  We ended up getting over 5 inches of rain in a couple hours – Buddy was not pleased.  The downhill construction crew tried to continue through the storm as they had just raised a set of rafters but they eventually had the good sense to get under cover as they watched some of their new driveway wash away.
The Downhill Construction Site
Buddy regained his Pendejo status by totally freaking out.  A couple days ago my superb son in law, knowing of Buddy’s storm terrors, sent me an ad for something called a thunder vest, used to calm dogs down during thunder storms.  I was a little skeptical but I’m going to have to do something.  My wife is almost as terrified of thunder as Buddy which is where I think he gets it.  I was trying to calm both of them down yesterday and barely succeeding in either case.  I’m afraid Buddy will injure himself trying to escape from his cage during a storm; he’s already broken one of his teeth doing that.  I got both of my scaredy cats down in the basement and I tried simulating the vest thing by wrapping Buddy in a couple of towels and it actually seemed to help a little.  He still wanted to burrow underneath the refrigerator but I think a Thunder Vest is in his immediate future (just another thing to thank the son in law for).
Buddy Freaking Out in Cage
The Jury Rigged thunder Vest Held by the Other Scaredy Cat
The storms eventually passed and my wife and I headed out for date night which this week called for the movie – Star Trek into Darkness.  I absolutely loved the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie so I was prepared to be underwhelmed.  Somehow he took it to another level because this was not just a better film than the first but significantly better.  The movie starts out with a bang and never lets up – it almost leaves you breathless.  I loved the odes to the original series – many small and a couple of huge ones.  I just finished re-watching the entire original series and it was so very cool to see all the subtle little connections that get thrown in.  This is such a good movie as the summer blockbuster momentum started by Ironman 3 just picked up some more incredible speed. I can’t see how Hollywood can keep this winning streak alive. 
Run - Do Not Walk - To See this Movie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment