Sunday, May 5, 2013

Saturday Sizzle

Yesterday did not get off to an auspicious start as I had to go into wok to ensure the weekend crew was not up any shenanigans.  Everything was as it should be although I did get an e-mail from one of the board members (he of last week’s emperor’s no clothes vignette) where he revealed some of the details of his botched colonoscopy – way, way too much information.

We had the Panamanian Mafia coming to the house for a cook out and camaraderie so my wife was in high cleanup and cooking mode for the entire day.  She had a laundry list of things I was supposed to accomplish which appropriately enough started in the laundry room.  (She did bribe me with her usual excellent Saturday supply of chocolate chip pancakes)
In Search of Elusive Plastic Parts
She had been forcing the door to the closet open which screwed up the doors.  My job was to figure out how to make them work again.  I located the problem and began fixing it when a small, but vital piece of plastic popped out, ricocheted off my forehead, and headed for parts unknown behind the dryer.  This meant I had to move the machines out and find the small piece in the detritus left by a machine that hadn’t been moved in seven years.  That was fun.

After hanging a picture and a couple of other equally vital tasks I was released to take on the lawn mowing.  The first lawn mowing of the year is always an adventure based on the unpredictability of the machine (Sears again) and the very thick spring grass.  The mower started right up but I noticed that the mower blades were not real level and there was a this god-awful clanking sound coming from the mower bed (I see a visit from my beloved Sears techs in my very near future).  The grass was so thick that I had to mow it twice at decreasing levels just to get it close to acceptable.  I did get the lawn mowed although it was not a work of art and offended my sensibilities (I’m weird that way). 
The Barely Acceptable Lawn
The extra time required to get the lawn done prevented me from assisting the wife in the house (silver lining there) as she frantically charged around the already very clean house – cleaning.  As always, everything fell into place – she is the ultimate in party hosts.

She did make an effort at social engineering with her invites.  She told one habitually late couple one time for the party and a punctual couple the right time, figuring they would arrive at the same time.  This kind of backfired as the late couple was punctual this time and vice versa. The habitually late couple was so confounded at being the first ones to a party that they thought they had the day wrong and sat in the driveway for a while.
My Wife and the Mafia
It was a fantastic, bright afternoon as we sat out on the deck and caught up with the rest of the mafia whom we hadn’t seen since before my wife’s January departure.  Buddy alternated between stints in the cage and experimental party attendance.  His stints in the cage came from his unrefined love of low lying snacks.  He did achieve parole once when we needed a cleanup from a snack spill.

Great Friends
It was simple fare of burgers and sausages but the company was fantastic.  Someone mentioned it was almost Cinco de Mayo which sent my wife to the basement where she emerged with several large Mexican sombreros.  Since they were self-respecting Panamanians they didn’t put too much importance on the Cinco de Mayo stuff but it gave us another reason to joke and enjoy the day.
Sombreros Came Out!
My wife suggested a fire as the light started to fade and I leaped into action before she changed her mind.  (actually it was a semi-tame jump versus a leap)  I soon had a fire blazing as we gathered around to continue the extremely funny conversation.  These are great friends and it had been way too long since we’d spent time together.  The Panamanian gals all had to don blankets despite the fairly prodigious size of the flames.  We gringos didn’t need the blankets and used a cell phone app to find constellations as the stars seemed close enough to touch on the clear spring night. 

Just A Small Fire to Start
We ended up spending a couple hours and three loads of wood around the fire.  I defended the wood piles against Buddy’s typical raids to rescue them and also succeeded in not burning down the deck.  We finally decided to give the neighbors a break and headed inside around ten PM to say our goodbyes.   I had to stay up and keep an eye on the coals as they slowly faded into the night.
A Truly Great Evening
There is something almost primordially comforting to sit around a fire with good friends.  You know people did this thousands of years ago and it must be part of human nature.  The real heat last night didn’t come from the fire though – spending time with good friends provides its own form of warmth and things were toasty last night.
The Mafia

No comments:

Post a Comment