Monday, May 13, 2013

Bittersweet Mother’s Day


My Wife With All Three of Her Kids
For the first time in a couple years my wife had the gift that she cherishes most for Mother’s Day – both of her kids home for the day.  My son came home on Saturday night from the MEG’s graduation celebration so he could spend the entire day with his mother.

We were dogged all day by the unfolding drama down in my wife’s hometown surrounding the very serious health crisis of her father.  My wife spent a good deal of time on the phone over the weekend trying to keep up with events down there.  She tried to put a brave face on it but I know it was killing her not to be down there helping her mother, brothers and sisters deal with the situation.  Her father was finally hospitalized late yesterday and hopefully will pull through.
Shopping Opportunity
We did try to make the day special for my wife.  She normally gets breakfast in bed but this year opted for breakfast at the nearby Cracker Barrel.  Of course several hundred other mothers made the same choice so I was not confident about getting a table.  The wait was only twenty minutes though and this time allowed for her to shop in the attached store – (aha- method to the madness).

After a great breakfast amidst the packed restaurant we arrived at church ten minutes early.  I joked with my wife that the church rafters might collapse with surprise to see her arriving early for mass – she didn’t seem to appreciate the humor.  My daughter bravely went up at the end of service along with the small children to get a flower for her mother when my son failed to rise to the occasion.  This was dutifully reported to the MEG later in the day.
Opening Presents - Daughter and Son Reliving Past Roles
We returned home for my wife to open her presents which really should be a spectator sport.  I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who genuinely and openly expresses sheer joy at opening presents as much as my wife – it’s so much fun to give her things.  My son and I conspired to give her an I-Pad which totally blew her away.
The I-Pad Reaction
My Wife With Her Haul
While my wife got on the phone to Panama the rest of us stormed the kitchen to execute the very carefully choreographed dinner.  My wife knew she wouldn’t be allowed to cook on Mother’s Day but she left very little to chance and spelled out very specific instructions for the us.  My daughter took on the tasks that required talent while the boys and I peeled and sliced potatoes.
My Daughter and I Hard At Work
The Potato Squad
The MEG and her most excellent parents joined us shortly thereafter to celebrate the day with us.  The MEG presented my wife with an actual bound book of photos from her January visit to Panama.  I could tell my wife was really touched and was overcome with emotion when she saw pictures of her father. 

MEG With Her Book of Photos
MEG and Her Most Excellent Parents
The clouds parted which allowed some quality time out on the deck on a fantastic spring afternoon.  The bocce balls came out and my son in law dominated in his usual, understated way.  He somehow kicks your ass and makes you feel good about it. 

Time Out on the Deck
Celebrating Another Son in Law Win
I Wasn't As Active
Buddy enjoyed not being cooped up again and roamed the back yard with abandon around his two stints in solitary for counter climbing and an episode of selective deafness when he wandered too far afield. He and I got in a couple of wrestling matches as well. He also demonstrated his newest talent, casually knocking over beers and then enthusiastically assisting with the cleanup.
Buddy and I Wrestling
Buddy With His Prey
The best part of the afternoon for me was tossing a whiffleball around with my son.  I was definitely feeling it in my knee but the benefit certainly weighed the price.  He even yelled at me when I tried to run after a ball.  I’m guessing his mother had been talking with him.  This is going to be tough.

Enjoying the Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
The dinner and subsequent dessert sitting were outstanding.  The guys were even complimented on the potatoes.  I think I’m going to have to ban my son in law because of his championing his very effective diet which garnered the all too rapt attention of my wife.  Nothing however could detract from the joy of the day being surrounded by some of the greatest people in the world.

My son and the MEG detachment had to leave in the early evening and the house certainly felt diminished a bit.  Luckily my daughter and (now probationary) son in law more than filled up the vacuum.  My son in law spent a couple hours teaching my wife how to set up and operate her new I-Pad.  Judging from the delighted squeaks of amazement he was a complete success at this much safer activity.  In a couple of ours she was video chatting with one of her friends in Virginia which helped her more than anything dealing with the feelings of frustration about her father.
Son In Law I-Pad Instruction Sessions
The time she spent doing that allowed the rest of us to watch the weekly Game of Thrones episode together which was a real treat. This is the rare opportunity to see something together that we always talk about on the phone although I had to be careful because my son in law hasn’t read the books and I couldn’t reveal too much.  I had so much fun sharing this with them.

At the end of the day as I talked with my wife she seemed in a much better place.  She said she didn’t know how she could have gotten through the day without the loving support she received from everybody but most especially from her kids.  It sometimes takes a serious situation to realize how loved you really are.
Mother and Daughter - She More than Anything Got My Wife Through the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment