Friday, May 17, 2013

Slammed and Lifted

Yesterday we got some great news from Panama where my father in law was released from the hospital and seems to be on the mend.  He still has some issues that will require some pretty extensive supervision but I know my wife felt immensely relieved by the good news. This of course meant more high volume telephone conversations and a very early deployment of the head phones.
Bruins OT Win
I was rewarded with a very good night in sports as I switched back and forth between the Red Sox and Bruins games.  The Bruins were sluggish but eventually wore down the Rangers and won in a dominating OT period.  The Red Sox were beyond sluggish and approaching anemic for the first 8 innings against Tampa.  Luckily Fernando Rodney arrived on the scene for Tampa Bay looking like a sullen teenager who doesn’t know how to wear his baseball cap.  He loaded the bases with Red Sox and Middlebrooks promptly cleared them for a Red Sox win.
Middlebrooks Clears the Bases!
I finished my latest foray into military science fiction by reading Hammer’s Slammers by David Drake.  I’ve liked Drake’s fantasy novels and was pleased to learn he had authored some military sci fi.  He’s also a veteran of the 11th Armored Cav, one of the best units in the Vietnam War.  He took his Black Horse experiences and transported them into the far future with a mercenary armored regiment fighting on a bunch of different planets.  The writing was top notch, per usual with Drake, and I was only disappointed to find that the book was a series of mildly connected short stories.  I usually avoid anthologies because I like to spend extended times with characters and the arcs in short stories don’t permit that.  I really enjoyed my time with the Slammers though.  You could really see Drake’s time in the military shining throughout.
I’ve been extremely distressed and downright embarrassed to see the national notoriety my hometown, Keene, New Hampshire, has been receiving because of the idiotic posturing of the “Robin Hooders”.  These dumb asses flit around town putting coins in expiring parking meters which would be harmless fun and a public service if that was all it was. My mother repeatedly told me, “Nothing in life is free” and these brain dead activists certainly validate that saying.  They follow around the parking enforcement officers (certainly no one’s favorite people to be sure) and mercilessly harass them. 
The Hooders - Where's a Good Lobotomist When You Need One?
These morons are cut from the same cloth as the hard core Occupy Wall Street Movement which collapsed under the inane weight its own failed,ludicrous doctrine.  We live in a society that requires rules to operate effectively and safely.  Some people can’t seem to understand the why of that very simple concept.   Harassing low level civil servants demonstrates nothing other than a complete lack of common decency and a sublimely ignorant, almost vapid, dearth of intelligence.  It really hurts to see the beloved streets of my hometown cursed with these cretins.
Downhill Construction Continues

No comments:

Post a Comment