Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brother Recog and Musical Flowers

My Brother and I at a Recent Christmas
Before I chronicle the absolute blast I had yesterday I would be completely remiss if I didn’t take the time to recognize one of the most important people in my life.  Today is my brother in law’s birthday and he’s just about as special as they come.

I grew up with three sisters and no brother and being the only one with the different chromosome was an issue at times.  I secretly longed for brother all those years growing up.  I had a number of surrogate brothers in the friends I made then and still have through all these years – but I still wanted a real brother.

Those dreams were realized when I stepped off a plane from Germany in 1979 and met my sister’s new boyfriend.  I was concerned at the time about assassination squads from a recent ex-fiancé but forgot all that as soon as I met my new brother.  From the moment we met it was almost as if we shared a brain – of course that was bad news for my sister who was the good natured target of our brotherly humor. 
My Brother with his Wife
Long Suffering Target of Brotherly Humor
He is one of the finest people I know and can also tell you off the top of his head the result of any Red Sox game played in the last forty years.   He cares deeply and passionately about family and I know if I ever needed anything he would be there for me.  He certainly has in all the years I have known him.  My kids gravitated towards him from their earliest age – always the fun uncle – if a little silly at times – just ask Philosophus.
My Kids With Their Favorite Uncle
If you asked me to choose one of the things that makes me most happy in life I would tell you – sitting around a table with my brother in law (he with his wine and me with a beer) and family - just enjoying each other’s company.  It’s as easy now as it was on that first car ride in from Logan Airport in 1979 with “that guy!” – I love you brother.

Officiating Kielbasa Consumption with my Son and Son in Law
With my Daughter in the Early 1980's
Talking With Him at His Wedding
A Recent Football Get Together
Surrounded by my Daughter and Son in Law
His Son's Christening Along with My Late Mom and Sister
Sharing an Adult Beverage Prior to Hockey Game with His Bro in Law
What He Does Best - Love My Sister
Even More Important than his Brotherly Responsibilities
On the decidedly more mundane level I spent the entire day yesterday out in the yard with my wife playing musical plants as she decided which flowers needed to be moved into the new garden.  My Keene Friend wisely escaped early in the morning which sent Buddy into a deep depression when he realized there would be no early morning walk. 


Buddy Trying to be Patriotic on Memorial Day but Missing his Designated Walker
My wife saw how “easily” I moved a couple of the really large flowers she had in mind and this whetted her appetite for much bigger things.  I was soon moving plants to the neighbors’ house, from one side of the garden to another and being carefully instructed on how to dig holes based on her vast experience.  Actually it was a lot of fun as I could see her getting excited about the new garden.
My Wife (on right - she's going to kill me) Transplanting Some of Her
Extra Flowers in Neighbors Garden - See Tractor Trailer for Size of Next
After several fun hours of this I had to attack the lawn which had reached jungle status again with all the rain we had received.  I was periodically called off the tractor to move more plants and assist with some garden expansion plans (it never ends).  I finished up the lawn just in time to head inside to watch the Red Sox.
New Garden Filling Up
Wile we were watching the Sox we got a call from our son and the MEF and her most excellent parents ( must be where she got that quality from).  You could hear over the phone how deliriously happy everybody was with the engagement news.  We received our first wedding planning guidance and my wife made her obligatory but doomed suggestion to have the wedding in Panama. 
Downhill Construction - 2d Floor Walls Are Up

No comments:

Post a Comment