Monday, May 27, 2013

Cold Hangover

Yesterday I was still coming down from the absolute high of learning about the engagement of my favorite son.  I still smile every time I think about it and them.

That helped a little bit in dealing with the task at hand – filling the garden I had just created for my wife.  Luckily I had my new (actually reconfirmed) hero – the Keene Friend, to help me with the task.   We attended church service which, due to Memorial Day, concluded with the Battle Hymn of the Republic – which apparently my Keene Friend has been waiting years for.  It was stirring and the entire church rose and put their hands over their hearts – brought tears to my eyes.  
It would be inappropriate to let this day pass without comment as to the sacrifice of so many that the rest of us can enjoy life.  You only need look at the daily news to know that without that sacrifice evil stands ever ready to challenge that freedom. Thank you to those gallant wolves who kept evil at bay.
Buddy Protecting Us from the Delivery Truck
I arranged for the delivery of huge piles of dirt, compost, and mulch.  Buddy went into paroxysms of raging protection during each delivery which was fairly entertaining.  My Keene Friend and I started out by stripping off the turf in the unseasonably cold weather which was complimented by fairly regular rain showers.  This was not fun and it was so good having the stalwart help of my Keene Friend.  Otherwise I would still be out there shoveling. 
Stripping the Turf Off
Turf Stripped
The Two Piles on the Left Had to Moved Behind the Wall
My Wife Helping - Prepared for the Elements
Finished - Sun Comes Out As We Finished
We took several breaks which usually resulted in snacks provided by the wife and checking in on a Red Sox game that seemed to be going exactly the wrong way.  We gave up on that and returned to our shovels.  After the turf we started transferring the dirt behind the new wall.  When we reached the appropriate height we summoned the wife outside to help.  The final level would require mixing the compost with the dirt as it was shoveled into the garden.  My wife came out dressed like Nanook of the North – she doesn’t handle cold well.  The neighbor was so impressed with her outfit that she came over to discuss it with her.  Buddy apparently found something he liked in the compost pile and kept trying to steal in and eat something only to be chased off by the work crew.  My wife turned out to be a great worker and by the time we had everything behind the wall she had it looking great. 

I’m very proud of how it came out.  It took a lot of work and it’s not finished yet as I now have plants to put in – my wife has that on the schedule for today.  I’m also going to add a few more stones to the downhill side and finally the capstones and mulch.  The hardest stuff is behind me now and I have to thank the Keene Friend for spending one of his rare days off helping me with the back breaking part of the work.
My Wife's Flowers Take Over the Family Room
We came into the house mud spattered and exhausted.  First we had to move all my wife's flowers in form the deck since it would be so cold overnight.  I glanced at the television and noticed that against all odds the Red Sox had rallied to win!  Thanks to the DVR I was able to rewind the TV which brought us back to the bottom of the ninth and the stirring win with the clutch hit by a player – Ellsbury, which I’ve been incredibly critical of.  That was pretty cool.
We rewarded ourselves for all the work with a movie last night.  We went to see Hangover 3 which was pretty entertaining.  There wasn’t a lot of room direction wise for this franchise to go.  It was a lot darker that the previous two but it wasn’t the normal rehash of the same plot of first two.  It was an appropriate send off for the boys as they literally walk off into the sunset before the franchise got too stale.

On Saturday I finished reading The Great Gatsby again.  I hadn’t read it since high school when I read it under the normal teenaged protest of being forced to read something simply because the teachers thought it was great.  After seeing the movie I felt a weird need to re-connect with the book.  As soon as I started, my first thought was, my God the teachers were right.  Fitzgerald’s prose really is on another level, descriptively, than most other writers.  I found myself immersed in his world almost immediately and just marveling at his ability to write.  I read so much popular pulp fiction writers that when I am exposed to a master – such as Fitzgerald – I am left in awe.   Youth really is wasted on the young – I can’t believe I didn’t appreciate this book more when I was sixteen.
Sisterly Wisdom Dispensed
EDITOR’S NOTE:  It has been brought to my attention by the offended party that she (my sister) first told me about the Thundershirt over a year ago.  I was waxing eloquently last week on this blog about my son in law pointing out this device to help Buddy with his terror of thunderstorms.  Apparently my sister felt slighted that I didn’t remember or give her appropriate credit for first suggesting this to me.  I asked if I had been drinking when she suggested this and she admitted that I was.  My incredulity level rises along with my blood alcohol content so I can see myself dismissing a suggestion of clothing my dog in shirt for thunderstorms.  Since she doesn’t lie I believe she did make the suggestion and that I summarily dismissed it at the time.  I throw myself on her benevolent mercy for this atrocious beer induced failure to recognize her brilliance.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment