Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Okay Gatsby

One of the films I was looking forward to this year was The Great Gatsby, bane of all high school males (guilty).  The director, Baz Luhrman, is known for his stunning visuals and the previews looked pretty amazing.  My daughter saw the movie over the weekend and her tepid review had me doubting whether we should devote a date night to it.  Since there were no other viable options my wife and I took it in.  We were joined by a fairly large crowd for a Tuesday night; I think there were three other males in the big crowd.
My wife enjoyed the movie after her five minute nap during the first twenty minutes.  I have to admit I liked it also.  I agree with my daughter about the signature failure of Tobey Maguire as Nick.  He’s the character who’s supposed to move the story along and generate some of the object lessons.  Maguire was just not up to the task and the boyish buffoonery that served him so well in Spiderman is completely inappropriate here.  Peter Parker is no Nick Caraway. 

There are a bunch of other misses in the cast. Luhrman should definitely look for a new casting director.  The Buchanans are completely miscast with two actors I usually like a lot.  Mulligan is way too sympathetic to portray the pathetic Daisy and the same goes for Edgerton playing her husband.  Maybe that was something Luhrman was going for but the last word that should be used to describe this couple is likable.  The CGI was cartoonishly bad and fails in comparison with other big movies (the bar is set so high nowadays).

The only character that is spot on is Leonardo as Jay Gatsby.  I’m not a big fan of his but I have to admit he is perfect for this role and delivers.  You can see the poor boy straining to maintain his illusions of wealth and hopeless devotion to a woman not worthy of him. 

The story, as it always is (and what makes this such a frustrating classic), is timeless.  The danger of living in an idealized past and of ascribing quality to the wealthy despite all evidence to the contrary still rings true – but God can it be depressing.

Since the Sox were back to underperforming again I spent the rest of the night going another way and watching some trashy horror flicks courtesy of Hammer Studios which left me with the feeling of “what were they thinking?”  Even Buddy seemed appalled. 

Gatsby stuck with me though and I guess that’s the sign of a good movie.
Buddy Back From One of His Romps

No comments:

Post a Comment