Sunday, November 20, 2016

Yard Day Re-Orientation

Last Day in Music Class Yesterday, Daughter in Background
My wife complained a lot about the tropical rains she had to deal with during the height of the Panamanian rainy season she just left. It was therefore appropriate she was blessed with a near perfect New England autumn day yesterday for her first full day back in the US. Of course the temperatures didn’t get above the fifties so there was that. I told her the weathermen are predicting a definite turn for cold weather to welcome her home. We even had snowflakes flying this morning. I think the tropical rains aren’t looking so bad now.
Giving Music teacher a Goodbye Hug
It was so fulfilling having her back in the house though. She had to truly fight the urge when she saw some of the aftermath of forbidding me to do a thorough house cleaning. Every time she started to point out a shortcoming I would remind her of her edict. She was most concerned about the state of the microwave and how anyone could use it in its present state to prepare food. I didn’t say I escaped without comment. She still hasn’t discovered the broken sangria pitcher, something my son almost pointed out to her during a call yesterday.
Front Yard Before Electric Mower

And After
Since this was one of the last nice days outside I spent a good deal of the day outside removing leaves. I actually shook the small tree out front so most of the leaves would fall. I once again used the electric lawn mower which does a fantastic job vacuuming up leaves. My wife seeing me outside came out to direct the planting of some mums that were on their last breaths on the porch and deck.
On the Drum
I received a steady stream of late arriving birthday presents yesterday including the haul of old time movies from the gift card my Favorite Son gave me. I have a healthy stack of movies now that I probably won’t get through until my wife’s net Panamanian sojourn. The best gift however arrived late in the day from my daughter and Wingman. When I, in a fit of complete stupidity, lost my IPad a few weeks ago I also lost the cover which featured a beautiful picture of the First Blog Reader.
My New IPad Cover in all its Awesomeness
Every time I used my new IPad I mourned again the loss of that cover. You can probably guess by now that the gift I received yesterday was a replacement cover and it once again featured photographic evidence of my granddaughter’s perfection. I was reduced to an awkward puddle when I opened it and saw the pictures. It didn’t hurt that one of the pictures featured her in my arms.

We went to the movies last night after my wife bundled up in a heavy down parka to confront the 57 degree temperatures. We went to see Billy Lynne’s Long Halftime Walk. I was interested to see what Ang Lee would do with a topical war story since he’s so visual. I was disappointed on that level because this was pretty straight forward as he looks at the Iraqi War from both sides. He truly captures the rhythms and interpersonal relationships of an infantry squad which surprised me. I also liked the paper thin “patriotic” support most Soldiers can see straight through that was the ultimate message of the film. I was most impressed with Garret Hedlund who was perfect as the squad leader. Joe Allywn as the title character wasn’t called on to do much more than cry on cue but he was also very good. The movie was a lot deeper than a surface viewing although Steve Martin trying to be a Texas millionaire was a stretch of immense proportion.







No comments:

Post a Comment