Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Amazing One’s Self

Scared Face
It’s not easy to surprise yourself especially if you’re not gifted with an array of talent in certain areas. That certainly applies to my expertise in the area of today’s tech world. That’s what made last week’s loss of my IPad so painful. It is therefore with no small amount of pride that I can report that I not only bought a new IPad (the easy part) but I formatted it completely and then restored all my original settings from my old IPad’s last session with the ICloud. I know millennials will read this and say this is child’s play. Of course it is but then you need to consider that today’s children have technical expertise that dwarfs that of a middle aged old fart such as myself.
I'm Scared of Peas as Well
I was so surprised that I felt a little giddy when reporting my success to sensei #1 – the Cali-Daughter. She and Wingman have labored along and hard to drag me into 21st Century technology and I felt like a recalcitrant student who finally aced a test. I tried to reach out to the Favorite Son, my other tutor, but he was unavailable. It was tough being alone because I had no one to high five. I know, it’s a small victory, but considered in context, a big win.

I went to see Inferno on dateless date night. I love Tom Hanks in everything he’s ever done (yes even Bonfire of the Vanities) but my least favorite amongst his many excellent roles was the Robert Langdon of Da Vinci Code fame. As Mr. Hanks is wont to do, he turned that opinion on its head returning as Langdon in this very well done thriller. He also ditched the lame haircut. Langdon wakes up in Florence with amnesia and the half remembered clues to humanity’s salvation from a devastatingly apocalyptic virus. There’s a well-conceived twist near the end. The picture really takes off when Irrfan Khan (elder Pi himself) shows up. It’s not often Hanks has scenes stolen from him but Khan does it repeatedly. I know this movie is receiving scant praise but I liked it. The seemingly nonsensical plot turns of the first half are neatly woven into the terrifying conclusion.











No comments:

Post a Comment