Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Arriving

Dominating a Bathtub!
I got some disturbing news last night when I learned both my daughter and the First Blog Reader were down with a fever and serial vomiting. The combined birthday party over the weekend resulted in a particularly virulent germ being distributed as all four birthday celebrators came down with the same bug. My granddaughter seemed to be handling the malady with aplomb. She had a technicolor yawn while sleeping Sunday night and then went back to sleep in it. She was still very industrious and busy while we talked last night. She comes from tough stock. Wingman, as he is won’t to do, stepped up in support of his two ailing ladies; so glad he’s back on the scene permanently now. The second load of balls (courtesy of First Friday and a computer) arrived and my granddaughter was extremely pleased. Of course mom and Wingman now have to disinfect the whole bunch to remove any latent germs. I’m thinking their bathtub is about to become a ball pit.
The Expanded Ball Population

The Two Patients

Birthday Party Conversations
Since my wife returns tomorrow that means my usual Tuesday movie night will be consumed with intense house cleaning. I went to see Arrival which stars Amy Adams as a world renowned linguist charged with opening up communication channels with some recently arrived extra-terrestrials. This is one of the most intelligent and thought provoking films I’ve seen in a long time. You shouldn’t go in expecting the usual sci fi action, this is very cerebral as it theorizes what humanity’s reaction would be to the arrival of twelve massive alien aircraft around the world. There’s a poorly disguised but ultimately fulfilling twist which raises questions in the viewers’ mind as what you would do in the same situation. Despite its somewhat dour tone, this is Denis Villenueve after all, the message is surprisingly optimistic. One of the best movies of the year and certainly the smartest.

Now back to the house; I think I’m in fairly good shape. The best news is - all of the house plants have survived, although one is on life support. I’ve given up trying to raise the house to the levels of cleanliness she achieves. It’s too hard and I always fall short anyways. She just expects an honest effort and nothing biological growing on the hard surfaces. I’m given to believe that by failing to meet her lofty standards she feels that I really do need her (I do). That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Not exactly what I’d plan in the way of birthday celebrations but I got that out of the way this past Saturday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment