Thursday, November 3, 2016

Memory Day

That California Lady
One of the many benefits of my nightly FaceTime calls with a certain young lady out in California is to resurrect memories of her mother at the same age. It’s astonishing, alright maybe not so much since they are mother and daughter, how closely they resemble each other. Last night’s call sent me looking for pictures that captured some of those moments. I love going into the old photo albums, despite the depredations the “kids” made over the years to create photo collages for school projects.
Her Mother, My Daughter at Similar Age
I was in the middle of this search when I ran into some of the rare photos of my mother. I say rare because she always and usually very sternly refused to have her picture taken; even at a young age when she was renowned for her beauty. Today just happens to be her birthday so my thoughts were bound to wander in that direction anyways.
Mom
My mother was a complicated and at the end very damaged woman. She set out on her own at the age of fifteen and through hard work and searing intelligence obtained her nursing degree. She left to escape two abusive brothers and often sought the refuge of the town library, that love of reading was passed on to her children. Early indications are that her great granddaughter will follow that trend as well. Mom actually left $1000 to that library in her will even though she hadn’t been back in over a half century.
The Freeze Face Her Daughter Has Now Picked Up
Younger Version of Great Aunt Holding Her, Mom in Background

Growing up I was very proud of my mother. She was fun to be around despite some very pointed ideas on discipline. She even tossed the Cantankerous Friend into a snow bank when they were passing on the street one day and he wasn’t going to say hi to her. Two events conspired to eradicate that thoughtful woman of my youth. The first was her divorce. She hated to fail at anything and took the events leading up to the split extremely hard. I think back to those days and am horrified at the position she placed her children in. I know my two younger sisters paid an even harder more enduring price.
The second event was infinitely more invasive and completely altered my mother’s personality. That was the death by suicide of one of my younger sisters. Despite that sister’s lengthy record of mental health problems, up to and including hospitalization, my mother always blamed herself in some way for the death, which was manifestly unfair but again, I know this is every parent’s worst nightmare. We’re supposed to outlive our children.


Mom and my Daughter
It didn’t happen immediately but over the years she retreated more and more into herself, became insular and almost mean spirited. She easily took offense and would go out of her way to freeze out anyone she thought had wronged her. My daughter was one of the few people who could draw her out of the dark places her psyche took her. From the very first moment of meeting they were incredibly close and it offered a glimpse for the rest of us of that remembered mother of our youth. I can just imagine how far over the moon she would have been to meet the First Blog Reader. In her last few weeks as she was in recovery from open heart surgery she miraculously returned to that earlier version of herself. I’ve often thought the pain she felt due to a variety of maladies contributed to her inner retreat. I like to think she’s upstairs looking down on us now and showering us with the love she held back now that she’s free of earthly pain. Happy Birthday Mom.

My Daughter


My Daughter 




No comments:

Post a Comment