Monday, November 28, 2016

Decorating Turn

Cali-Gals Out for a Hike
Yesterday certainly qualifies as the least diverting day of the Thanksgiving Day weekend. The only joy I could elicit from the day was that I did not have any of the hundreds of miles to drive back home that marked my Army career on this specific weekend. I did smile as I was out and about and saw the countless thousands who were unfortunate enough to be on the road returning home. I wasn’t trying to be cruel but after so many years of facing the hell that is holiday driving (and yes I’m thinking of you Connecticut) it felt almost liberating not to be doing that.
Tree is Up!
My Favorite Panamanian and I got out of the house for the usual Sunday efforts and journeyed back to our old Charlton haunts to purchase a Christmas tree. We have a favorite place that sells quality trees cheap, as long as you pay cash. The longer drive home is always a challenge given my perfunctory knot tying. I do miss the huge trees we used to get for the soaring celling on the old house. We overestimated the size of tree in the new house but the skillful application of a power saw and some top knot pruning addressed that.
As are the Christmas Signs
Once the tree is up and the lights tested my sole function is to carry stored Christmas decorations up from the basement. My wife, with ample evidence to back up her claims, believes I am extremely challenged in the style department. So I spent a lot of time up and down with decorations as she contemplated what the tree will eventually look like. She also supervised the seasonal change of her “message signs” to the Christmas version. Do you know anyone else with two complete sets of signs? I didn’t think so.
She was gracious enough to permit me to watch the Patriots game unfettered by household tasks. The game was against hated rival from New York (I know – redundant) who are having a down year but can always be counted on to play the Pats tough. Yesterday was no exception with the Patriots employing a bewilderingly ineffective defensive scheme. I get the impression the defensive coordinator has all these wild ideas and Belichick comes over after they blow up in his face and straightens everything out. The Pats still have Brady which was all they needed at the end of the game where he mounted the seemingly inevitable game clinching comeback.

Game On
California checked in with the First Blog Reader in high form bouncing from one side of the apartment to the other demonstrating her prowess at throwing the ball and contorting her face into wild formations. Wingman was also a frequent target as she repeatedly crawled to his location and demanded to be picked up. I’ve written before that this is certifiably as a trait she inherited from her mother who perfected it with me at a similar age and led to the inevitable inability to deny her anything. 






No comments:

Post a Comment