Thursday, November 17, 2016

Solitariness

Hopefully on the Mend
Yesterday was supposed to include the triumphant and long sought after return of my wife from her Panamanian sojourn. That did not happen for tropical climate reasons. We’ve become so used to planning our trips just during the dry season that we didn’t fully appreciate the monsoon rains that have been falling in David for last 48 hours. At least that was her story on why her flight was canceled and she did provide photographic evidence of same.
Ball Tent is Still Popular
Keene Friend took the day off from work and had planned on accompanying me to the airport to surprise my wife. He wanted to extend his condolences on the death of my father in law in person. That’s the kind of guy he is, bone deep quality. I was in the middle of hosting a regional conference for my company when I got the news and had to send out some hurried messages to cancel his trip south.
Supporting Dad
The conference included a number of other transit agencies from across New England and dealt with emerging technology. It’s a constant struggle to deliver new capabilities while still hamstrung by a partially state funded budget. I was particularly impressed with the generation gap within the group. We had a young lady who works down in Connecticut who was talking circles around us, such as splitting servers between vendors and other arcane thoughts. My generation which, if I am any example of, understood about half of what she was talking about. It will be fascinating to see the business world in twenty years when the younger generation who fully embrace technology will be in positions of power to fully leverage the capabilities it presents.
It was therefore completely appropriate that I spent some of my solitude last night finishing off the latest season of Black Mirror on Netflix. This British based series takes a very hard and speculative look at where technology is going to take us in that future. If you have Netflix, make sure to check it out. It can be very disturbing but it posits some very interesting potential repercussions, especially in the social media arena.

Feel Better Dad
California news is still on the dire side in terms of health. The best news was the First Blog Reader seems to be improving and she serendipitously has a doctor’s appointment today. The stalwart Wingman who had been nursing the ladies was felled and felled hard by the same malady. I love some of these pictures where my granddaughter is trying to offer him support. She was uncharacteristically quiet during our FaceTime call last night which was a good indication that she wasn’t feeling the best. I know if her grandmother was within 1000 miles of them she would have been making tracks to help out.











No comments:

Post a Comment