Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Winds of Change in Focus

Another four to six inches of snow over Sunday night and it seemed like such a paltry amount after the February extravaganza. Everybody went about their business yesterday without even mentioned the storm. I went out in the morning to spend my customary hour with the driveway from hell and had it in pristine condition as I left for work. Since temperatures were going to reach just above freezing I thought I was golden. I forgot the object lesson this winter has hammered relentlessly since the end of January. It’s never over.
Buddy on the Now Frozen Driveway From Hell Last Evening
The Post on the Right is the edge of the Driveway
The Post on the Left is the Snow Shovel Embedded in the Drift
As I was driving home I noticed the winds had returned in serious force and the first niggling thoughts of fear crept into my consciousness – what would I find when I entered the diabolical driveway from perdition? While it wasn’t the worse windblown snow I’ve experienced over the last month – it ranks right up there. There were three foot drifts over half the length of the driveway and the higher temperatures created a level of slush which was now rapidly freezing as the temperatures nosedived. The wind had packed the snow so tightly that I had to break up the drifts with a snow shovel before the snow blower could handle it. Oh and the winds continued to howl relentlessly – kind of a microcosm of what most New Englanders have been through recently. As I pushed the machine through the cloud of blowing snow (in March for God’s sake) my thoughts sped south. My conviction that my elder winters will be spent on a beach in Panama and not doing this was supremely fortified. Since I needed a serious morale boost after another hour and a half in the failing light of yesterday I watched the following video of what transpired a month ago in Arizona and suddenly felt so much warmer. Tough not to go all misty eyed when you watch the competing views of that fateful last couple of truly SUPER minutes.
I spent a long time on the phone last night with the tropical wife and made some major decisions about our future. It’s too early to talk about them here but I suddenly find myself a lot more excited about the prospects. I’m so proud of that little bundle of energy and can’t wait to get her back north, she truly and inevitably – rocks!
Since we’re getting more snow tonight (seriously?!) I moved dateless date night to last night and saw the movie – Focus. This is a Will Smith vehicle and he’s ably supported by Margot Robbie the unforgettable wife of the Wolf of Wall Street. Smith is excellent as always but labors under the pressure of a character who’s a really bad guy. Smith is probably the most likable actor in cinema today but here he plays a con man who orchestrates thefts at major social events. This type movie only works, at least for me, when the con men are ripping off guys that deserve to be victimized – someone lower on the loathsome scale than the thieves. There’s a few cute twists thrown in but I couldn’t get past the feeling these guys deserve to be incarcerated. Great chemistry between Smith and Robbie elevated it though above those thoughts. I should have loved it, what with skimpily clad women and exotic locales, but I only liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment