Monday, March 30, 2015

Avian Zombie Operations

Yesterday was spent almost entirely in recovery mode as both the wife and I battled illness. I was trying to vanquish a stubborn cold while my wife developed a scary series of eye pains followed by bouts of dizziness. As I’ve stated emphatically in the past, this getting old process is not without peril and kind of sucks. She’s feeling better this morning which mollified the worst case scenarios flitting around my cranium. My cold is hanging on but since its Monday it feels kind of appropriate.
How Buddy Imagined Himself
Buddy attempted to raise our spirits late yesterday by decisively defeating a zombie bird that had the temerity to invade our backyard. He loves to patrol the yard until he spies something we need protecting from. He then rushes inside and barks at the appropriate window to display his ferocity. He’s a lot like the punk in a bar that starts a fight and then retreats behind friends who are supposed to hold him back.

We were snugly encased under blankets in Couch Potato Position #1 when I noticed Buddy nosing something around on the carpet after his latest foray into the back yard. At first I thought he’d hurled but after turning on the light it turned out to be a partially decayed bird that the melting snow must have uncovered.

Buddy’s got a lot of black lab in him so some primordial gene must have kicked in to “retrieve” the dead bird to his master. He seemed actually pleased when I picked it up although a little perplexed when it ended up I the trash. His brief episode of channeling his inner “Lab” was not fully appreciated by my wife as she considered burning the carpet upon which Buddy’s bird lay. I don’t think she’ll be accepting “kisses” from him any time soon.

A video call with the Cali-Daughter and Wingman was the best medicine for our flagging spirits although they did win when we compared our respective weather conditions. It’s snowing again, but since, again it is Monday, it’s almost appropriate, mood wise. The ABFA continued her relentless drive to convince me to move to the seacoast area instead of Keene with a very entertaining text overnight. I think I’m in for a long campaign on that front.
Front Yard This Morning

Back Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment