Sunday, March 29, 2015

Unveiled

The Future Home of Memories
The standard weekend snowstorm did not dissuade my wife and I from a trip up to Portsmouth to visit our son and the ABFA. Of even more note was the opportunity to tour the house they are in the process of purchasing. They invited us a long for the house inspection which allowed us to spend an unfettered two hours plus in the gorgeous house.
Kitchen Inspection
The only element present from the current owners was a feisty but extremely shy little “dog” that spent the day doing what little dogs do, bark and run around trying to look impressive. There’s a gas fireplace and whenever that was turned on the “dog” ran to confront the flames.
"Dog" Guarding the Flames
The home inspector was a crusty old guy who obviously knew his stuff and found a couple things the current owners will get fixed before the closing. My son was eyeing the unfinished basement and attic as future home improvement projects. I think a man cave is destined for the basement.
Son in the Living Room

Towards the Kitchen

Upstairs Hallway

Looking Towards Dining Room
The ABFA arrived a little late but she and my wife were soon conspiring to change my mind about moving back to Keene. They both agreed we would be better off moving into a condo near their new seacoast home so we would be available for grandchild babysitting duties. I pointed out that according to both she and her husband, grandchildren were not imminent and a Portsmouth to Worcester commute was a completely different animal. This did not dissuade them in the least. Even the distant prospect of a future grandchild is enough to rob my wife of certain degrees of reality.
Son and  ABFA in Their New Home
I spent a lot of time reflecting on the future. The house was a stranger to me but I know it will serve as a repository for a lot of memories currently imprisoned by the future. I’m excited for the opportunity to break these as yet unexperienced times out of confinement. I tried to communicate the importance its future held for us and prayed it was up to the challenge.

After the home inspection we adjourned to their apartment which glared its inferiority compared to their new digs. Our son talked us through the check in process for our upcoming cruise. Although my wife and the ABFA were still house hunting for a fictional future residence near their new home they did take a break long enough to decide which excursions we’ll pursue on the cruise.
We then set off for central Portsmouth. My favorite son and I ended up in Two Ceres Street Martini Bar (it did serve beer) which had a fire going on the hearth. The wives set out in search for chocolate wine (don’t ask – I still don’t understand). They failed in the wine search and joined us to wait out the time before our dinner reservations in the wine bar.
Dinner was scheduled at the Martingale Wharf just a couple store fronts down the street from the wine bar. We walked there via “the decks” a series of outdoor bars along the Piscataqua River which are mobbed in the summer time. It was a little sad to see them snow covered and deserted.
Martingale’s was a very pleasant new place with a circular bar surrounded by the restaurant tables. A wall of windows allowed great views of the river and we watched the sun set there behind the I-95 bridge in the distance – so it wasn’t that romantic. The food was however every bit as good as promised.
Too Much Fun With This Bunch to Adequately Describe
Dinner was a lot of fun as our female contingent continued their relentless assault on my refusal to consider a move to the seacoast area. It was highly entertaining as they both employed their not inconsiderable female wiles to full effect.


I was fighting an incipient cold all day but that could detract from what was a very special day. My wife volunteered to drive home which was a Godsend. The snow had stopped everywhere along our route except, of course, Charlton, where we found 3” of fresh snow on the evil driveway from hell; a harsh return to reality after such a great day.
Front Yard This Morning, Snow Covered Again!

Back Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment