Friday, March 20, 2015

Spousal Translation Lessons

Before continuing I want to issue a fervent plea to anyone who has seen the season of spring which has gone missing just when needed most. It is due to arrive today but Mother Nature apparently never got the memo and is instead dumping some more snow upon us. I really harbored no desire to learn what life was like on the frozen tundra of the Yukon. Where’s Al Gore when I need him?
I had a very funny/exasperating session with my favorite Panamanian last night. We received via email a draft contract for our second home in Panama. We’ll be going down there in a couple weeks to sign the contract and dot some “I’s” etc. etc. with the bank. I printed the contract out and after dinner we sat down together to review it.
I speak fairly good conversational Spanish (especially after a couple beers) but some of the technical aspects of the contract (written entirely in Spanish) eluded me. I didn’t think I had anything to worry about because I had my resident Spanish dictionary sharing the seat next to me. Or so I thought.
Whenever I got to a section where I needed help she simply read the offending section to me, in Spanish. I tried to reason with her that I was capable of reading but needed clarification, in English, as to what the questionable section meant. I apparently did a poor job of explaining what I needed because her next move was to read it again, in Spanish, but much louder. This went on for about an hour and a half until we both just started laughing (in Spanish). 

I’m very excited that this next phase of our life is starting to take shape and that I get to spend it with my somewhat spotty translating service. She of course has much more to recommend her.

We were briefly texted by our Cali-daughter who has re-linked up with the Wingman, in Missouri, of all places.
Front yard This Morning

Back Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment