Saturday, March 7, 2015

Solitude be Damned

Yesterday was my 33rd wedding anniversary and while I spent it pretty much alone I was pleased so many people reached out to wish us congratulations. I am going to put more thought into these long separations though. They’re tough on this side because once I leave work there are no close friends to hang out with, except for the Wonder Pooch. His conversational ability is extensive but somewhat limited.  I think it will be easier with a move back to my hometown but who knows when that’s going to happen.
The highlight of the day was an extended video call with my wife and her family in Panama after I returned from my weekly Zorba’s pizza induction.  It really felt like I was there sharing jokes and since my brother in law’s wife was involved the conversation often veered into ribald territory. They’re all going to my favorite beach in the world, Las Lajas, today and are supposed to leave at 7:30. Panamanians take a much different tact on timeliness so I said I would put good money that my sister in law would never make it. I was sent the photo below at 7:27 this morning, just to prove she did. My wife was kidded mercilessly about her impending return to the frozen tundra and the conjugal bed. It was exactly what I needed at the time. My son called to join in the fun until my wife’s IPad battery ran out.
Rare Early Morning Sighting of my Sister in Law
I’m vanquishing solitude later today when Buddy and I head for Keene. The Keene Friend and I will once again darken the doorstep of a certain sports bar and have been threatened with Cantankerous Friend attendance. I’ll be interested to hear him defend Hillary’s email adventures. Just what the doctor ordered.  Before that though I have to tackle painting the kitchen ceiling so Buddy may show up in Keene with some white spots on him.
Scene to be Repeated Today
We set some more records for cold temperatures which don’t even rate mentioning since it’s become such a common occurrence over the past few weeks. My daily pictures of the receding snow are off to an extremely slow start but I’m confident we’ll get there, kind of.

Front Yard

Back Yard
Finally, unless you’ve been living in some kind of subterranean cavern you’ve probably already seen this video. I think it’s the coolest thing I’ve seen I a long time; just a great message.

No comments:

Post a Comment