Thursday, March 5, 2015

Diabolical Revenge

Apparently my infernal driveway from the abyss took serious exception to my comments from yesterday. I woke to find that for the first time this winter a snow storm actually passed to the south of us instead of depositing at least a few inches of snow. I strolled down my haunted path all fat and happy at the prospect of granting a day of rest to my faithful snow blower.
I reached the snow cave that is the bottom of the driveway when my feet shot out from under me. The driveway had insidiously and cleverly masked a solid sheet of ice from yesterday’s melt which looked just like the rest of the asphalt I just walked down. I’d like to report my military training immediately kicked in and I executed a perfect parachute landing fall by tucking my chin and twisting to the side. Unfortunately the fall came as such a surprise that it resembled a few of my less artistic parachute landings. After my feet left the earth the next two points of contact with the driveway were my butt and then the back of my head (ahh the memories).
What It Should Have Looked Like
Once I confirmed I wasn’t dead my next concern was ascertaining who had witnessed my less than graceful fall. Here’s where the snow cave came in handy, well except if I’d actually been hurt. The only people that could possibly have seen it were the across the street neighbors so I may have cost them some spit up coffee. Buddy accompanied me for my pratfall and seemed concerned until I started moving again at which point he created some more yellow snow to mark the spot and speed up my attempt to regain my feet.
The Reality
This collision with mortality was further enhanced this morning when I saw a message on my blog from yesterday in which my helpful brother in law pointed out that I (we) was approaching my seventh decade and not the sixth as I had stated. The Cantankerous Friend, always willing to add his life affirming outlook, quickly chimed in pointing out how old I was getting. Life’s all about having supportive friends.
My Sister Yesterday
In the extremely good news department my younger sister who took a very nasty fall herself a few weeks ago reported in yesterday that her recovery was on track. Her fiancĂ© posted a picture which shows how much progress she’s made. Hard to believe just a few weeks ago she had a broken nose, facial lacerations and underwent spinal surgery. She comes from tough stock.


I’ve decided to take a more positive outlook towards the winter. I’m going to will it out of existence. I’m going to take pictures of both the front and back yards each morning and post them here in the hopes to show an ongoing eradication of snow as it melts. My Cali-daughter is due for a visit next week and I’ll get her to show me how to create one of those gif thangs when the grass eventually reappears, unless this is the start of a new ice age. I ran across this video which shows how much fun we’re having up here in the snow capitol of the United States – lest I forget.
Front Yard

Back Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment