Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Rainy Day Business

Wife and In Laws at El Fogon Last Night
I was driving home from the movies last night (huge surprise – I know) in a steady rain storm when I realized just how long it has been since the stuff falling from the sky wasn’t frozen.  I literally could not remember that last time it rained instead of snowed but it had to be as far back as December. Today we’re supposed to crack the 50 degree barrier for the first time since Christmas day. The snow is fighting a desperate but losing battle to remain relevant, I can even almost see over the snow tunnel at the bottom of the haunted driveway. I am so ready to be able to walk across the lawn again. I know it’s under there somewhere.
The Patriots took a gut shot last night when they ran into a player who was every bit as fiscally ruthless as they are and lost their best defensive player to their hated rival. Revis was a total professional while he was here and transformed the defense but the Patriots, as usual, were not willing to mortgage the future for immediate returns. At this point I acknowledge I am not worthy of second guessing their personnel movies based on their legacy of success, but this one hurts.
My wife took my in laws out to dinner last night to one of my favorite restaurants in David – El Fogon. She’s prepping her parents for her departure in a couple days (that would be me dancing a little jig about that deadline). In one of those unscripted but welcome surprises that make life worth living she ran into a gang of her high school classmates who were also out celebrating at El Fogon.
Classmates
After dinner and returning her parents home my wife and her twin sister returned to join in the fun. A number of her classmates had returned to David for a reunion and were leaving this weekend, just like my wife. A significant amount of sangria was donated to the cause. I know how much fun these type reunions can be, I love it when I run into high school friends when I regularly return to haunt Keene. My wife blew off our nightly phone call and if her eyes are indication from this morning’s FaceTime call – she had a very good time. Sangria is her kryptonite.
Sangria Time
The movie I was making my sodden way back from Unfinished Business which is an apt title for this mess. I’m a big Vince Vaughn fan but he clearly mailed this one in. He was going for a raunchy comedy and while there were dozens of female breasts on display the movie just wasn’t funny and I think they wanted this to be comedy. Vaughn plays a small business owner competing for a huge German contract against his much bigger, former employer.

Even when these comedies miss there’s a couple laugh out loud gags except for this movie. I kept waiting for it to take off but it jumped all over the place and spent too much time on the failing business aspects instead of the party scenes which at least had the potential to be funny. Tom Wilkinson is criminally underused and Dave Franco creepily plays a special needs businessman. Do not spend money on this; it is not worth your money or time despite the impressive female anatomy.
Front Yard This Morning - Walls Re-emerging

Back yard

No comments:

Post a Comment