Friday, June 20, 2014

Washing Clean Daughter Bright

Yesterday was a long day and not just because of the extended daylight hours.  Any day that starts with a board meeting is bound to earn that appellation.  I was a little surprised when the political boss lauded me for “coming up with some needed changes” that he recommended for the board.  The changes were a result of our excruciatingly painful weekly Thursday meetings and I’m simply the guy that has to make them work.  I guess he needed a fall guy in case they don’t.  The best thing about the meeting was the lead “Voice of Inappropriate Worth” being distracted when they called for public comments.  She rose in indignant wrath when they ended the meeting without her monthly deposit of vile invective.  She was in high voice (but no one was listening) as I walked out from under the miasma of inflated political talk.
There followed an entire afternoon wrestling with technology trying to get a Microsoft Access based software package to function as advertised.  Anyone who’s had that unhappy task can commiserate with me.  Even the WPI educated computer engineer trying to assist me was reaching critical mass by the end of the afternoon. 
I came home in need of some outdoor time due to this extended sentence behind the desk.  Unfortunately this fell neatly into my wife’s plans for the evening.  On my way home I dropped off our power washer which needs an overhaul and I dreaded the scraping that would entail on the soon to be painted back deck.  It’s so much easier to power wash than it is to scrape – one of the great truisms of modern life. 
Another great truism – men just love the feel of a power washer in their hands.  It’s almost primordial (not that power washers existed in primordial times) but it certainly taps into some base male need – more power the better.  Show me a man that denies this and I’ll show you a man who’s never used one or is missing a Y-chromosome.  It was thus with a heavy heart that I anticipated the task sans power washer.
I failed to take into account my wife’s boundless ability to make friends.  She’s something of a gadfly around the neighborhood having made friends with fellow wives up and down the street.  She announced she had procured the loan of a power washer from one of those neighbors!  She knows I would never ask to borrow anything so she took the initiative.  I hid the gleeful dance my spirits were taking so as to not encourage her on too grand a scale.
The power washer turned out to be a small electric one which I’d never used before.  I was immediately skeptical that it had the appropriate level of power that my male needs called for.  I wheeled it back to the house while my wife engaged in a long conversation with the very cool neighbor lady that lent us the device.
The Unloaded Deck
Her conversation lasted just long enough for me to move everything off the deck (something we were supposed to do together).  She’s nothing if not a brilliant tactician.  I was a little leery of the power washer because I’d heard a rumor that electricity and water were not necessarily good together.  I was immediately converted because the machine was AWESOME!!!  I was soon covered in flakes of paint and stain working in a cloud of deflected mist as I scoured the deck and railings.
I was at it for a few hours since this was the second longest day of the year in terms of daylight and I never stopped.  I was truly in my element.  I’m totally serious about this.  If any of you ladies ever have trouble getting your man to do chores – buy him a power washer.  He’ll be seeking out things to scour soon after.  As I came out of my power washer induced trance I was exhausted but the deck was fully prepped and will only need a few days to dry.

The Scoured Deck and My New Favorite Toy
If the Gasoline Powered One Can';t Be Repaired
I'm Getting One of These!
Not that my spirits needed a boost this morning (it is in fact the First Friday of the week don’tchaknow) but my daughter succeeding sublimely.  She’s taking a quick trip out to Minnesota to see the Wing Man this weekend but before she left she sent me some really great pictures.  They were taken from her surprise 30th birthday party last September.  Her birthday fell on the same day as a wedding of close friends in Connecticut.  Wing Man arranged for me to join them at the after party where her very cool friends planned the birthday celebration.  It was a transcendent moment and the pictures got me a little misty eyed, father and daughter kind of stuff.  See below:
The Moment I walked in Unexpectedly

Daughter Hugs Are Medicinally Relevant

Wing Man was Present as Architect of the Planned Surprise

Since there was a Cake - There Needed to be a Sword
Family Tradition

Daughter Taking Aim

She Didn't Miss

Such a Fun Night

No comments:

Post a Comment