Sunday, June 29, 2014

Saturday Slide

My Little Sister's Birthday Today
Not This Little Any More But Still Has a Sparkle in Her Eyes
I just want to turn the page on yesterday.  Not only was I denied the opportunity for my one annual golf game but about everything that could go wrong did.  I knew the day would call for some major running around but I felt I had the time to get the car inspected, go to work for the set up for company picnic, mow the lawn and then attend a neighbor’s high school graduation party.  The only thing that went as planned was the party (so at least I got that).
Per S.O.P. I waited until the last possible moment to get my car inspected since the sticker expires on Tuesday.  I went to the crusty local guy but he had a long line of fellow procrastinators and couldn’t get me in until after 3pm.  I went to option B which is another local garage and he took me right in; for all of five minutes.  He came out to tell me that my two front tires were down to “canvas” and he would have to fail the car. 
As my Wife Put it - My Car Getting New Shoes
He gave me a break and said since I had two whole days left he wouldn’t put a rejection sticker on (love the small town guys).  I left there for work and was now extremely cognizant of the “dangerous” tires (his words not mine) I was traveling on.  So on my way I pulled into the local tire warehouse and $600 later had all new tires.  Proceeding to work I found the caterers had arrived early and begun setting up (in the wrong place).  I don’t think I’ll make any of their Christmas lists this year as they had to move everything to where it was supposed to be.  Damned civilians just can’t be bothered to learn how to read a simple map.

Set Up Complete
Once that was done there was a mad dash back to the inspection station (which closed at noon).  I proudly proclaimed I was the owner of some new tread and he bemusedly passed me.  I started to feel a little better (if poorer) at this point and looked forward to contemplating life while riding around mowing the lawn.
Alas my luck held true as to the negative cash flow as the mower greeted my attempts to start it with absolute contempt and that never happens.  It would barely turn over so it looks like there’ll be another round of jousting with the Sears repair dude, scheduled for Wednesday afternoon.  Stayed tuned for more hijinks and shenanigans as the next chapter in that epic relationship goes down.
Neighbor's Party
Finally something went right later in the afternoon with the neighbor’s party.  The graduating gal is a real sweetheart and makes the best cupcakes on the face of the earth.  We only knew the other neighbors attending but it was a fun crowd of older people along with the obligatory cluster of way too young graduating seniors.  One of the people I didn’t know told me I look exactly like James Taylor.  He’s going to be pissed when he hears what I’ve done with his singing voice. 
My Party Date
We sat around a table with another couple who said they were trying to figure out where they knew us from.  Finally the lady said, “You’re the dancing couple from Maxwell Silverman’s!”  I averred that the wife does the dancing while I plod along behind her.  This other lady goes to Maxwell’s regularly and remembered us from there.  They were a lot of fun as a couple.  They were both widowed, retiring, started dating a couple months ago, and were really in love.  It was kind of cool to see the blushes of first love in such an unexpected milieu.

My Wife With the Maxwell Couple
After a few hours of really needed fun we started to make our way across the lawn to our place when my wife shanghaied the DJ.  He was married to a Latina so they were soon into a deep discussion on the best dancing music.  Armed with prior experience at these type encounters, I sat down to wait out the inevitable conversation.  While there I noted the graduating seniors sneaking into the coolers labeled “adults only” and procuring inappropriate beverages for their age.  Remembering my own graduation party I was not going to be an immense hypocrite and say anything – kind of nostalgic to see things haven’t changed in almost a half century.
My Wife at the DJ Table

No comments:

Post a Comment