Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Edgy

So today we are blessed in Worcester with a visit from our Commander in Chief.  As the denizens of Washington can relate this means one thing – traffic apocalypse.  This is especially troubling when you work in the transit business and need to keep bus routes operating.  I’m sure we’ll start fielding scores of complaints this afternoon when the traffic begins snarling.  My excellent boss says we cannot respond to the inhabitants of this bluest of blue states with – “You voted for him!”.
I Guess I'm Not the Only One With a S---Eating Grin
He’s here to speak at the high school graduation of a school that’s undergone a dramatic turnaround over the past few years. I have no issue with that but I’m harboring a sneaking suspicion that Obama’s staunchest Northeast defender, none other than the Cantankerous One, had something to do with this.  I can see him plotting up in New Hampshire about the best way to screw up my work day and then reaching out to his progressive contacts in the White House.  Well played sir.
While this will keep the work place on edge all day I may need that because this cold turkey from diet coke is becoming an issue.  Each afternoon I’m getting uncharacteristically tired along with a head ache.  This is kind of disconcerting and leads me to believe this is the right thing to do if the affect is so pronounced.  I wonder at what kind of insidious effect the vast amount of diet coke consumed daily was having on me.
Last night was date night and we went to see a movie I was genuinely looking forward to, The Edge of Tomorrow.  Say what you want about Tom Cruise but he knows how to deliver a summer blockbuster.  I feared that my high expectations would lead to disappointment but that fear was shattered early on.  This is a great sci fi movie told on a grand scale.  It’s the love child of a cross breeding of Groundhog Day and Aliens.  Cruise plays a smarmy political type officer who’s forced into combat and then is eternally re-cycled, by dying, through the same day until he can figure out how to beat the aliens. 

Emily Blunt almost steals the movie from Cruise as a fellow Soldier afflicted with the same recycling issue.  There are some very funny moments as Cruise repeatedly meets his demise while trying to learn how to fight.  The only problem comes at the very end where the Hollywood effect is imposed but that doesn’t distract from a really good adventure and who doesn’t want to see Tom Cruise get killed a couple hundred times.

No comments:

Post a Comment