Monday, June 2, 2014

Canine Meat Tenderizing and Disney Revisions

Yesterday my son in law and I abandoned my suffering son to the tender mercies of his well-earned hangover.  He adamantly refuses to acknowledge our tried and true hangover prevention techniques.  I’m beginning to think he enjoys wallowing in the misery that follows epic consumption of adult beverages. Hopefully the return of the MEF to Portsmouth last night in some way assisted his recovery.
Back in Charlton we settled on a quiet afternoon watching the Red Sox topped off with a barbecue and movie date.  My wife had a Panamanian Mafia baby shower in Worcester so I was charged with the weekly grocery run.  I returned home to find Buddy the Wonder Pooch uncharacteristically incarcerated mid-day.  It didn’t take Einstein to figure out he’d inflicted one of his legendary transgressions during my absence; besides he looked incredibly guilty when I saw him and didn’t even move within the cage asking for release.  He ascribes to doing the time when caught for the crime.
I went upstairs to learn the details.  As I suspected, Buddy added yet another chapter in his renowned counter climbing volume which is reaching tome level.  We recently purchased some really tasty bone-in sirloin steaks from the local butcher shop.  I’d taken one out for the afternoon barbecue before leaving for the grocery store.  Since my wife wasn’t around, Buddy sought to take advantage of the inexperienced crew of my daughter and son in law who were providing local security for the meat while it thawed. 
He didn’t account for the quick reactions of my heroic son in law who rushed to the kitchen when he saw Buddy easing up onto the counter.  Buddy seized the meat and retreated to the family room where a spirited wrestling match ensued for possession of the steak.  My son in law eventually won and Buddy lowered his head and went directly to the cage.  He knew he’d messed up but just can’t seem to control himself around food.  He loses all self-control and seemed genuinely remorseful.  His remorse may be seated in his failure to secure more of the steak before it was wrested from him.
Buddy Mournfully Watching My Daughter Prepare the Steak
That Had Been His for a Fleeting Moment
My wife came downstairs during the accompanying cacophony.  She was able to rescue most of the steak which was vigorously washed in vinegar and trimmed back.  We did go with a well done version when it made it to the grill.  Buddy remained imprisoned contemplating his ill-advised pilfering attempt during the entire Red Sox game.  Since the Sox won their seventh in a row we judged he was sufficiently rehabilitated for conditional release.  He watched with mournful eyes as the steak was consigned for human consumption as images of “what could have  been” flickered in his belly.
My wife failed to break away from the mafia in time to join us for the movie – Maleficent.  Disney, ever ready to wring every last dollar out of their franchises, decided the wicked witch of the Sleeping Beauty saga needed her reputation rehabbed.  Angelina Jolie was tone perfect for the lead role as the misunderstood fairy queen.  She’s become such a pop culture icon that you forget what a talented actress she is and her eyes eloquently tell most of the story.

It was cool seeing all the images from the original story brought in with a new meaning as we see the story from the “evil” queen’s side as she battles to protect her people from the evil humans.  The movie sometimes pushes the cute level a little too much (we are talking Disney here folks) and applies the typical Disney hammer to make points that could have been more subtly introduced.  All that being said, it was a fun watch, but that probably had more to do with the excellent companionship of my daughter and son in law.

No comments:

Post a Comment