Sunday, June 22, 2014

Married to an Assassin

My wife is trying to kill me.  There can be no other explanation for my Saturday just past.  We spent the entire day painting the back deck as planned.  It was another glorious New England summer day so that wasn’t the deadly part.  It was actually a lot of fun hanging with the spousal unit while she regaled me with my failure to take adequate care as I spewed deck stain liberally across the landscape.
The Deadly Lady Slinging Some Paint Yesterday
We were fairly exhausted in the late afternoon when we declared victory.  We had to go to a diaper party for the next door neighbor who’s expecting twins in September.  Everyone invited to the party was expected to show up with diapers (in boxes not wearing, c’mon).  We decided to take a quick break on the couch and since the world cup was on we were soon fast asleep.
Finished!
Rising from our slumber we groggily headed next door apologizing to the neighbors for being late and blaming it on the traffic.  We were clearly the oldest people there but it was fun watching the legion of kids cavorting across the yard.  They had a huge bounce house to mass on and we took up station at the face painting station. 
Next Door Bounce House
A couple hours there was followed by the assassin’s bullet.  She cashed in my mother’s day promise of a night of dancing in Worcester.  I think I’m in pretty good shape but seven hours bent over painting the deck were not conducive to a night of tickling the floorboards at Maxwell Silverman’s but my wife (as with most Latinas) has a hidden reserve of strength whenever dancing is involved and she more than proved that last night.
We got to Maxwell’s after 9 pm (wardrobe decision matrix problems) and ran into the usual crowd of slightly scruffy middle aged singles. My wife did allow a few adult beverages around the three hours spent mostly on the dance floor.  You may construe from all of this I wasn’t a huge fan of the event but that is merely my public pronouncement.  I had a really fun time hanging with my would-be assassin – she kind of does that to you.  Deadly but impossible to resist and hey, I did survive.

Late Night at Silverman's
Selfie's Don't Flash
As we made our way home sometime after midnight we engaged in a texting exchange with our daughter in Minnesota.  She and the Wing Man’s thoughts were back in NYC where her best friend was reaching the end of more than thirty hours of labor and heading in for a c-section.  We promised to pray for her as well as reminding her that this was eerily reminiscent of her own birth.  We awoke today to the welcome news that a healthy young man has joined the curbside gals.  Welcome little cheezit!   
They Did Find Some Time to Have Fun
Daughter and Wing Man Yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment