Sunday, June 8, 2014

Home Staining While MEF Showering

MEF Entering her "Surprise" Shower
Okay, so this whole daughter thing visiting to celebrate a pre-Father-s Day was part of an intricate deception plan to provide operational security for the big event of the weekend – a Bridal Shower for the MEF.  While I think she suspected the shower was going down this weekend I was under strict orders not to reveal any details since the MEF has been known to graze Frail Deeds at times.  I spent a lot of the morning loading tables, chairs, presents and a seemingly endless series of “vital” accoutrements for the party held at the MEF’s parents’ home.  My elder (but seemingly young) sister came up and added her provisions to the mix.  We were able to wedge her, my wife and daughter into the car with a little space to spare.
Three Beautiful Ladies Packed into a Truly Laden Car

The MEF Surrounded by her Future Sister and Mother in Law 

Every Known Form of Chocolate was Present - A MEF Obsession
(I Did Say She was Perfect - right?)

Opening Presents

MEF Surrounded by her Peeps Including the Moms at Either End
I received periodic updates throughout the day as the chocolate covered shower went off without a hitch.  It’s testimony to the quality of my future daughter in law that she’s surrounded herself with some really superb friends.  Her family, as previously chronicled, is peerless as well. I think it is so cool that my son and the MEF found each other.  It truly makes me marvel at how well suited they are for each other.  
My Son in Boston Yesterday
I Think There Was Less Chocolate Involved
Her future spouse was undergoing a tradition of another sort – his bachelor party. His wedding party descended on Boston where they linked up with the man who shall forever more be labeled as “Wing Man” in this blog – my son in law.  We also received updates throughout the day from that august group but were specifically directed that many were not “for publication”.
My Assistant Buddy Just Before the Painting Started
Left to my own devices (wedding/baby showers are not in my play book and a bachelor party should not have an accompanying parent - just sayin) I decided to continue the porch project assisted by my ever vigilant but extremely lazy assistant, Buddy the Wonder Pooch.  I taped down the entire porch and completed the last of the white paint around the perimeter and then commenced the major project which was staining the porch floor.  We have a cool applicator for stain and I was proceeding along if not merrily, at least quickly, when the damned thing broke in half. 
Same Place Afterwards
Apparently my brute force and ignorance approach to its use culminated in the inevitable.  I figured out a way to use it but now had to spend the entire afternoon bent over, not a preferable condition for a former paratrooper's back.  I had reached my own culminating point when the ladies returned from the shower adventure.  Since I was starting to get more and more of the red stain on the recently painted white trim I decided to declare victory and call it a day just short of finishing the last bits.
My Sister Manned the Grill 

While Buddy Lurked
I inveigled my sister to hang around who arranged for my brother in law to come up from Rhode Island to join us for a barbecue.  While he doesn’t always choose the closest liquor stores he was a valuable addition to the festivities.  We gathered around the kitchen (don’t you always end up in the kitchen?) and swapped stories about the day while a few adult beverages met their fate.  An unplanned get together such as this can produce some truly magical family time. 

So Much Fun Hanging With These Guys
My sister has followed in the steps of her little brother with a significant weight loss.  She even has her own personal trainer, just so you know – she rocks.  I didn’t want the night to end as the conversations flowed as only when close family is involved.  I looked around the table and reveled in being surrounded by some of the people who’ve shared my life for most of theirs and just enjoyed the time granted to be together; even if the Red Sox were being pummeled on national TV again.  Time with family trumps all disasters.  


No comments:

Post a Comment