Monday, June 23, 2014

Resurrection Sunday

After my wife’s failed attempt to kill me on Saturday through extended work, diaper party, and dancing she took pity on my abused state of mind by directing a road trip up to my hometown.  The Keene Friend had one of his rare days off so we descended on him along with the Wonder Pooch to brighten his day.  The fact that we have so much fun hanging out with him should in no way detract from the humanitarian aspect of our road trip.
Wife and I at Lunch
After a lunch with great views of Mount Monadnock my wife said we should pick up a needed gallon of paint at Home Depot since it would be tax free.  She promised to wait in the car but felt the siren call of the garden center as soon as we pulled in.  Knowing this was a dangerous time I hurried through the paint purchase figuring if I was quick enough I could take advantage of her one known shopping vulnerability – inability to make quick decisions.
With this Guy!
Alas I was thwarted when we tracked her down and discovered in less than five minutes she had acquired nearly $50 worth of additional plants (because we are so short of them back home).  She blithely explained the lack of taxes fueled her decision making skills.  I may be having second thoughts about moving back to New Hampshire.
To escape further discussion of the purchase she dropped Keene Friend and I off in the middle of town while she headed for some of her favorite haunts (TJ Maxx quivered in anticipation).  The two abandoned guys ended up in the Scores Sports bar (huge surprise there).  It was virtually empty when we got there but the owner stopped by to say a big crowd was expected in a couple hours for the US-Portugal soccer game.
Sign Outside Scores
Seen From a Distance the Large Letters of free Beer Stands Out
Until You Get Closer and see the Minuscule "WiFi" and "Cold"
That's Okay - They Had me at Beer
Since we were happily immersed in the tidal wave of televised sports and samples of the brewing arts we were content.  We tried to raise a crowd of friends but the only respondent was another high school classmate who stopped by in the midst of moving into a new home (dedication) and another from Pittsburgh who joined us telephonically.  I may have to buy the Cantankerous Friend a cell phone to bring him into the 21st century as he remained elusive once again.  Then again, maybe I don’t want to do that to myself.
High School Buddies in Scores
Before It Became packed with a Soccer Crazed Crowd
The owner turned out to be right about the soccer crowd as the place was packed by game time.  So I have now watched my second complete soccer game and it was a lot more fun with such a lively crowd despite the crushing late goal to tie the game.  There was even a “USA” chant started at one point.  Americans excited about soccer – I have lived to see it.  We were having so much fun that we convinced my wife to join us for the last twenty minutes of the game .
She surprised herself as well as us by thoroughly enjoying the environment.  The mesmerizing lure of so many televisions is not for the weak of heart.  After the stunning conclusion of the game we eventually tracked down the waitress long enough to pay and wandered across the street to Margarita’s for a late evening dinner.  We dined outdoors as the late Sunday rhythms of my hometown played out along Main Street; including a very entertaining drunk who staggered by and professed his love for everyone within earshot. 

Dinner at Margarita's
It was a great day decompressing with friends and further cementing my conviction to somehow end up living back in my home town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment