Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Light Cup Fever and Aspartame Recovery

Well I’ve gone and done it.  For the first time in my entire life I’ve watched an entire televised soccer game.  I’m not exceptionally proud of myself since the Euros do this on a regular basis but I feel it was a good first step in expanding my horizons.  I’m a little taken aback that we were underdogs to a pipsqueak of a country like Ghana but I understood once I saw what tremendous athletes they were (except for the haircuts that is). 
The Winning Goal
See What I Mean About Ghanaian Haircuts
There was the usual theatrics involving faked injuries which always turn me off but one of the Americans got kicked in the face (breaking his nose) and he kept playing even though it must have hurt like hell.  I actually got into the ebb and flow of the game and almost see why the rest of the world is so devoted to this sport. There was even some good sportsmanship between players which is so absent from most modern day sporting events.  It didn’t hurt that the USA scored a stunning late goal to win either.  The Americans seemed unprepared for the hot humid conditions in Brazil which was startling.  Even I could have told them it was going to be hot, damned hot; oh and humid (C’mon guys look at a map).
I’ve now completed my first week without a Diet Coke in more than 25 years. It was a lot tougher for the first couple days than I’m willing to admit.  I was up to six or seven 20 ounce diet cokes each day before I quit.  I felt lethargic in the afternoon and experienced some mothers of headaches.  That reaction more than anything else steeled my resolve to stay off it; if my body was reacting that explicitly then it was something I didn’t need polluting the system.  I won’t be starting up again.  After the first couple of days the reactions grew less pronounced each day; what was I thinking?! 
Yes Mr President That Would Be an Inbound Hellfire Missile
You Might Want to Duck
Jack Bauer continued to dominate last night on “24” as well.  He not only provided expert medical advice about a comatose terrorist, flew a helicopter amongst other feats of derring-do but even kidnapped the doomed US president right out from under the secret service.  Audrey’s going to be severely pissed at him though, not to mention whichever team plays in Wembley Stadium.  Jack does tend to leave his mark on real estate.

MEF and Son at Fenway Last Night
My son and his beloved MEF were at Fenway Park last night (courtesy of the best bro in law in extant) to watch the Red Sox pitching.  The less said about Red Sox hitting goes without saying.  (They did win the championship last year so I will maintain my policy of not complaining about them but it is getter tougher and tougher).  1-0 wins count as much as 30-0, so one can only hope Buccholz is left in Pawtucket as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment