Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sweetly Bitter Lunch

The last lunch for a while yesterday with the son was somewhat bitter sweet.  The sweet part being he will no longer be driving nearly three hours every day in order to work close enough to make these lunches possible.  The bitter part will be the lack of mid-week filial morale boost I’ve kind of gotten used to.  I do feel good that I’ve made the most of these opportunities over the past couple years – something I swore to do when he returned from the Middle East. Lunch was wedding heavy in terms of content.  The last invites entered our postal system yesterday as that momentous event looms on a rapidly approaching horizon.  I still haven’t figured out what I’m going to call the MEF after the wedding.  The son in law is now “Wing Man” so I would be remiss if I did come up with a similarly suitable appellation for this fine young lady.  The son and I were on a mission yesterday on a shared I-Pad to track down the one elusive mother-son dance song (important stuff) my wife has become fixated on.  We achieved moderate success but will have to call in the family IT expert (daughter) to make it work.
Son and I Yesterday
On The Up Side - I'll No Longer be Able to Inflict These Weekly Photos On You
The secondary explosions of Buddy’s Tuesday smoke alarm melt down continued to cook off yesterday as well.  The heavy dosage of stress drugs he consumed led to some gastro-intestinal issues including some projectile bowel movements, some delivered in fairly spectacular fashion (pity the neighbors).  I’d hoped he was over the worse last night but as I made my way downstairs this morning my nose told something else.  I was presented with a fairly large mess (I’ll spare you the photo – you’re welcome) but I was amazed and not a little impressed that he got 98% of it outside the cage through the door gate.  My morning bike ride is not too far from his cage so it made for a pungent workout, even after the clean-up.

At the risk of moving the Cantankerous Friend into the spontaneous combustion mode I have to comment on the amazing parallels between Obama and possibly the most inept of modern presidents, Jimmy Carter, in terms of foreign policy.  He has yet to launch the needed air strikes in Iraq because he’s tied them to a change in the Iraqi government, again very Carteresque.  Like Carter he’s trying to impose American sensibilities and political correctness on a foreign society and like Carter the next generation of Americans will be paying the butcher’s bill for the eight years of inept Obama foreign policy. There’s an element of ruthless pragmatism needed in foreign affairs that is sorely missing from President Street Activist.

No comments:

Post a Comment