Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vegetative State

My wife and I planned all week for a day working outside in the yard yesterday.  There’s dozens of small projects a New England winter inflicts on any yard and combine that with my wife’s fertile imagination when it comes to creating projects, I had a full day planned.  Then New England weather descended, again.  The rain that was supposed to come through on Friday night decided it liked the area and hung around all day long.
The Soggy Backyard Yesterday
At Least It's Turning Green
I spent a good deal of my adult life in the infantry “working” outside in the rain and one of the promises I made to myself when I became a civilian was to avoid such nonsense.  I think being cold, wet, and tired is about the lowest state of existence.  We were therefore reduced to inside the house projects which were already in fairly good shape from my wife’s earlier chronicled predations. 
Buddy Claiming Couch Position #1
Buddy was a little territorial when I tried to claim desired seating in Couch Potato Position #1.  Through some fairly tough negotiation and bacon laced mediation we arrived at a compromise which allowed me in.  We polished off the DVR backlog (Hannibal is one severely twisted dude!) in time for the Sox north of the border.
The Comprise We Reached
The Red Sox looked to have fallen into another funk with a disastrous start to their game until Buchholz finally remembered how to pitch while the Toronto starter became allergic to the strike zone.  Our normal samurai Japanese relievers pitched more like ronin but the Sox held on for the second straight win.
The best part of the afternoon was watching the Bruins manhandle the Red Wings to eliminate them from the playoffs.  My wife even deigned to become a hockey fan for the afternoon although a good part of the game was spent surfing the internet for shoes.  I scared the hell out of her when the Bruins scored the decisive goal. 
Hell, Yeah!
In a landmark decision my wife declared that the dress she bought three weeks ago was in fact the one she was going to wear to the wedding this summer.  Anyone who’s been around her the last few weeks (and was asked to volunteer their opinion) knows this was not an easy task. 

I felt like an underachiever but everyone needs a break and I was seriously “vegging out” yesterday.  Strangely I had been looking forward to getting outside for the day.  The rain had other ideas which, other than turning everything an appropriate green, were not welcome.  I’m left with a bit of cabin fever, thank God for the Sox, the Bruins, and a certain Panamanian.

No comments:

Post a Comment