Sunday, April 20, 2014

Even Better Saturday


Happiest of Easters to everybody.  I hope you are as lucky as I am to spend the day with the people you love.  A number of different friends posted this video this week – totally appropriate.
The Three Compadres at the Museum
I wrote yesterday about what an exceptional Good Friday happened due in main to the arrival of my favorite daughter and son in law.  Sometimes the best of days emerge from the misty region of the unplanned.  We had not planned anything special for the day and were discussing that lack of foresight over breakfast at the Cracker Barrel when my daughter suggested a visit to the Worcester Art Museum.
Daughter and Son in Law in Museum
I drive by the museum literally very day but even though I’ve lived near and worked in Worcester for nine years I have yet to cross its threshold.  That was remedied yesterday with a truly enjoyable afternoon with Rembrandt, Matisse, Monet, Pollock, Gainsborough, and too many others that I can readily recall.  I never realized what a wealth of art I was driving by each day.
Wife and Daughter in Modern Art
Roman Floor

Armored Knight

Two Forms of Panamanian Gold

Wife and I at the Museum
There was also a display of medieval armor from the recently closed Higgins Armor Museum including some truly kick ass swords and strangely the Batman costume from the first Batman movie.  The bottom floor was interesting with relics from ancient Rome and even a complete room from a medieval French monastery.  We were wandering through an ancient Mayan display when my wife was inexorably (and typically) drawn towards a display of golden jewelry.  It is justifiable coincidence that the display came from prehistorical Panama!
Bancroft Tower

Daughter and Son in Law in the Tower
After the museum we took a brief side trip to see the Bancroft Tower which I discovered a few years ago while out jogging from work.  It’s this huge stone tower on a small hill overlooking and providing sweeping views of Worcester.  A rich son created the tower as a legacy to his father around the turn of the 20th century. 

Walking up to the Tower
We stopped by a pub on the way home so my son in law could add some beers to his burgeoning chronicle.  We were at the brewery that produces Wormtown Brews and enjoyed a great time with the Red Sox on display as well as some appetizers.
Wormtown Brews

Great Time
Returning home for the first barbecue of the season completed a very thorough thrashing of the daylight hours.  Again, nothing planned ahead of time and sometimes that turns out to offer opportunity where its least expected.  My wife and daughter spent some time further tenchnifying my wife which I’m not sure the world is ready for but we’ll see.

Get Ready World - My Wife is Figuring It Out
I didn’t want to let go of the day and the time spent hanging out with these three people so I concocted a need for the first bonfire of the season as well.  I soon had a huge blaze out on the deck with Buddy nervously watching his beloved wood being fed into the conflagration.  My wife said she would only come out for a few moments because it was kind of chilly and didn’t want smoky hair for Easter.  We had such a good time that she forgot about her reservations and stayed until the wood played out. So much better to spend time around a fire under the stars with great people than watching the boob tube.  Just a great day and testimony to how lucky I am to be surrounded by such quality people. 
Ending the Day Around the Fire

Buddy and I at the Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment