Friday, April 18, 2014

Dutiful Devout

I once made the mistake of calling my wife a fanatic about her Catholicism; once.  Turns out this was not the right thing to say (I added this to my fairly long, very personalized, and ever lengthening list of dumb things a husband should not say to his wife).  While not a fanatic she is extremely devout and starting yesterday she goes into “the mode” where I come up short in her estimation because I don’t spend extended hours at the church during this holiest of all weeks.  She also stretched the days I have to eat foul tasting fish instead of my normal dead animal flesh into Thursday instead of just Lenten Fridays.
Board Meeting Yesterday
Blinded by the Light (content)
This only added insult to the injury of yesterday which started out the monthly board meeting and the juxtaposition of politicians and the “Voices of Inappropriate Worth”.  This confluence of opportunism and deluded self-importance is always a challenge.  Yesterday the head politician was currying favor with a regular bus rider who is more than a few cards short of a full deck.  I find it interesting that a person with obvious cognitive issues is granted a forum to spout totally inane statements simply because she first complimented the politicians.  This is the People’s Republic of Taxachusetts where form is so much more important than content.  The inanity reached such a crescendo that I walked out once my area was covered.  I was terrified that I would stand up and say what I was thinking and that would not have been conducive to continued employment.
The Red Sox won a very entertaining game last night against one of the best pitchers in baseball.  I hadn’t seen Sale pitch before but he was absolutely nasty or the Red Sox really are as bad as I fear.  Luckily John Lester was on the mound for the Sox and he was every bit as good as Sale and maybe a little better.  I’m going to find a bunch of women to send the Sox rookie shortstop Bogaerts racy pictures because the day after he got in trouble in the twittersphere for one such photo he broke up Sale’s no-hitter with an absolute monster of a home run that may land in a couple more days.
Bogaerts Connecting Last Night
The Sox are scarily shallow offensively these days and I cringe when the batting order moves beyond Napoli.  He was a hero last night, back in the lineup two days after dislocating one of his digits.  Who’d have thunk we’d miss Middlebrooks so much, not to mention the flying Hawaiian .  The Sox pitching at least seems to be providing the faintest of pulses and they will start hitting if the law of averages has any kind of sway.  I think we’re paying for the fairy dust of last year.

So the Sox provided a bit of a lift after the less than amusing weekend eve but the real tonic comes later today.  Even though this is the heaviest day of the year for us Catholics (just ask the wife) I’m making my own pilgrimage to New Haven this afternoon to pick up my favorite Daughter and Son in law who’ll be spending the holiday weekend with us.  On Sunday we even get the son and MEF.  My wife declared that we would officially feel like parents again.  I love these peaks after the valleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment