Monday, April 14, 2014

Springing into Palahniuk Finale

The First Flower Officially Arrived
Yesterday was the first day in months I’ve been able to spend the majority of outside; well except for snow blowing duties.  I completed the spring cleanup of all the debris the local trees donated to the lawn and Buddy was my ever present guard fully prepared to bring death and destruction on any squirrel or unfortunate jogger that hove into view. 
Not Bad for a Week's Worth of Effort
There were even a few plants and one flower emerging from the tundra where snow had covered barely ten days ago. I convinced my wife it was safe to venture outside just to prove her flowers were returning.  She was dubious but obviously pleased before retreating inside to escape the frigid 68 degree temperatures.  I’m beginning to think spring might finally be here but I’m enough of a New Englander to prevent me from completely buying into that despite today’s temperatures in the 70‘s. 
Buddy on Squirrel Guard
I also finished off my years long foray into the twisted mind of Chuck Palahniuk yesterday by reading the final book he’s published so far, Doomed.  My son in law recommended I read Palahniuk and it’s been a wild ride although it did give rise to doubts as to the sanity of that son in law.  Palahniuk never fails to amuse, amaze, and terrify with his off the wall escalations of every day foibles.
This made Doomed kind of a disappointment because he doesn’t cut any new ground.  This was a direct sequel to Damned and was an almost exact duplicate with the same sort of semi-ending.  I get the impression the two books were one large one that his publishers forced him to cut in two so they could make more money.  He picks up the story of the recently dead 13-year old Madison who is now trapped back on earth and trying to haunt her celebrity parents.  It had all of Palahniuk’s bravado but I was left with the impression of “been there, done that” which was a first with a Palahniuk book.
A cousin posted the following video on Facebook yesterday which brought to mind two things.  First – is it too late to get this guy for my son’s wedding and second – don’t you hate it when you hear a song and can’t get it out of your head.  I’ve been singing “Hallelujah” for a solid twenty hours so far.  Don’t watch the video unless you have some extra time in the shower today to devote to melodic wanderings.
The Red Sox continued to founder in New York despite the presence of their good luck charm, my daughter and son in law, near the left field foul pole.  They looked a lot more like the Pawtucket Red Sox last night and one can only hope they start getting some major league talent back on the field before they fade too far (but I’m not complaining).

Good Luck Charms Last Night in the Evil Empire
There was one high point to the night as the incestuous twerp Joffrey finally got his “just desserts” on Game of Thrones.  After the Red Wedding this was much better fare.  Finally I’ve started another playoff beard in honor of the Bruins.  I felt the Patriots’ playoff loss was directly attributable to my lack of facial hair in support.  There will be weekly updates on my hirsute progress.  
Choke on That You Incredible Little A-Hole!
Now This Was a Wedding I Could Get Behind

No comments:

Post a Comment